Fender brownface vibrato in a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BMF Effects, Sep 14, 2006.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Played a brownface Fender Pro the other day and the vibrato was amazing. Anyone making that in a pedal?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

It's Tremolo even though it's labeled as Vibrato. And there's a couple things that can get you there.

Area 51 amp trem
    Swamp Thang
    Diaz Trem-o-dillo

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

Fender had it all backwards in the 60's.

Tremolo on strats is actually a vibrato because it's pitch shifting
    Vibrato on amps is actually tremolo because it's a volume change.

4. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

Yeah you would think in the reissues they would have corrected themselves. Very misleading to uninformed public.

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

Well, then it wouldn't be a Re-Issue then... :p j/k .. I know what you mean... Some old dude a long time ago got me straight on the terminology.

6. cameron

cameron Member

And it probably drove the engineers at Magnatone up a wall. After they spent all that energy coming up with a fiendishly clever way to implement actual vibrato in an amp - but people wouldn't believe they had a feature that Fender didn't, because Fender merely mis-labeled their feature.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I am buying a Guyatone VT-X from the Emporium right now (well, tomorrow after direct deposit hits!)... I played one years ago and it sounded great. It's got a 12AX7 in it and stereo outs, though it's not true bypass, so I'll have to put it in some kind of wobo/looper type solution (i had it coming anyway)... There are some good sound samples on the link.
    [​IMG]

8. drolling

drolling Member

Man, I just love tremolo.. The very first guitar effect ever, it seems ironic that amp builders included it in their designs long after it fell from popularity.. Can't say how many beautiful old blackfaces I've seen w/their trem circuitry butchered out to make room for another gain stage.

And just as tremolo started becoming hip again, manufacturers had finally phased it out from most models.

Like a good spring-pan reverb, I've yet to hear a really convincing amp trem in a stomp box, tho' the tube-driven designs ain't bad.

I picked up a long-discontinued Peavey Valveverb for next to nothing a few years back - it's got 3 tubes and does a pretty authentic sounding trem, but you're right about that brownface sound - There's nothing quite like it. Even other Fender designs don't sound as good to me, tho' I've got an old bf Vibrochamp that's close.. it's just not loud enough!

Another very juicy tremolo sound can be had from those early 60s Gibson Falcon (GA19RVT) amps. Real splashy reverb that's wet enough to surf on's included in the package, too. I paid less for mine than I've coughed up for some pedals, and the amp's got a line-level 'monitor out' jack that'll let you use it just like a stomp box. A very big, heavy stomp box..

9. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

GREAT post. Never thought that there could have/might have even been a calculated effort in this regard...

A great trem is the Tremulator. It nails my brownface and is super clean and is not hip right now so the price is probably darn good.

Jet

10. pappafox

pappafox Member

+1 on the Area 51 thingy. Have one mounted in my 1987x. Does the nice subtle trem up to a helicoptor landing beside of you. With some "over the top" distortion, and a fast moving wah, I get some wild sounds!

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

You mounted one in a 50W Plexi head?!?! That's cool, would love to see a picture of that.... And hear it too... :D