Fender C/S '69's VS. Kinman Woodstock plus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.
    I was hoping some of you could drop a line and let me know your thoughts on the Fender custom shop '69's compared to a the Kinman Woostock plus set.

I know that both have good ratings, but some of your expiriences with them will help to.
    I am looking to install new pickups in my strat soon, and I have narrowed it down to these two sets. I am sure just by these choices in PUP's you can guess my style of playing.

Thank you for all your time and efforts,
    Mass

2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Sorry, I can't actually compare those two. But I can highly recommend Kinman Woodstocks. I have them in a parts strat and love them. Tone *and* quiet.

3. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

I have to second on the Woodstocks. I needed a set with flat polepieces to go into a guitar I was setting up for slide. I sent an email to Kinman and Chris' wife said she would forward my request to him. Chris emailed me back and said no problem....he hooked me up. Nice combination of thump and clarity, oh yeah, and NO noise!

BTW, does anybody else think Chris kinda looks like Jeff Beck on his mug shot?

4. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

I have both and can recommend both. There is just something (to my ears) that the CS69s have and the Kinmans don't (besides hum!). Positions 2 and 4 mainly sound better to me with the Fender PUs. The Kinmans have a better bridge sound. The Woodstocks have spent the last year or 2 in their package after being replaced with the Cs69s. I don't see them going back in soon;)

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

I got to try out a stratocaster today fitted with the Custom Shop '69's.

MAMA MIA!

Talk about glassy belltones! They are not a "hot" set of pup's, but the dynamics focus more on the thumping lows and transparent highs!....underwounds.....;)

Man if the Kinmans are anything like the CS'69's, this is going to be a REAL toughie of a decision.

Da-boogeyman,
    if you could expound on what that ~something~ is that the CS '69's have and the Kinman's don't, I would be most grateful.
    I listened to a clip of the woodstocks on the Kinman site, and they sound "meatier...or have more bite" to me. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)....but the C/S '69's seem to have a destinctive fluidity about them..hard to describe.

I appreciate all of your help and comments, keep 'em commin!

Best regards to all,
    Mass

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Get the Fender's...save the money. Single coils are ment to have some hum. Anything that knocks the hum out also kills the tone, imho. Those 69s are good pups, and reasonably priced too.

7. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Hell, if Mercedes thought like that, they'd still be selling their '60's models.

Having a noiseless design is great for numerous reasons which I'll assume are obvious to everyone. I haven't tried the Fenders but I thought the Woodstocks ripped. Reminded me so much of Jimmy's edgey sound. You might like the Traditionals Mark II as well. I'm not saying don't get the Fenders or anything else for that matter, but this belief that noiseless automaically means poorer tone and performance is ignorant IMHO.

8. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

ignorant is a pretty strong word choice. i think you are assuming that non-traditional single coil sound equals bad tone. just because somebody says that Kinmans don't sound like vintage Fenders doesn't mean they're saying that they suck. i've had Kinmans and though they are nice sounding pups, they definitely do not sound like traditional single coils. they have their own thing going on and that's cool and they do get close to a single coil sound, but you definitely are not going to get the exact 2 and 4 postion sounds with them. they are extremely musical and if they had come first, who knows, maybe that's what everybody would be comparing things to, but that's not how it happened and they will always be compared to the traditional Fender sound. i eventually went back to traditional single coils.

9. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Err no.:rolleyes:

So far I could list any number of "assumptions" in your posts and I'll leave it at that. Try reading my post again and see where you missed the point.

10. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

didn't mean to offend you and i know you didn't bash Fenders. but since you said you haven't tried the Fenders and i have tried both, i was trying to give a different view. sorry if that bothers you, nothing personal was meant by it.

11. Shemp

Shemp Member

I own and have used a whole bunch of single coil pups over the years, including Kinmans, CS Fenders, Dimarzios, Fralins, Harmonic Designs, Rios.

What I found common between the different designs is that anything using a dummy coil, even if it's the latest DC design with an iron doped coil, changes the basic tone of what I think people consider the "traditional" single coil pickup.

With a traditional SC pup there's a certain softness/warmth to the attack that disappears as soon as the dummy coil is attached. Noiseless single coils are crisper/edgier sounding to me.

I haven't tried them all but I've owned a few and I always go back to the tradional design. I do have one Warmoth tele left with a setr of kinman broadcasters in it, but I always grab my 52 RI with HDs in it first.

12. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

I would if I could but I can't:D I even talked to Chris Kinman about it and had a hard time explaining myself. He suggested I play with the PU heights more, and I did. I'm a EE and words like "glassy" just don't do it for me when I want to describe characteristics. For that reason I just avoid it. The Kinman's sounded terrific and quiet, but I prefer the CS69s. Since you were able to play them yourself, I don't think missing my explanation and adjectives matters.

Enjoy:)

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Dear all,

Actually, all of you have helped me with information and deciding just by way of your debates.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
    Best to all, Mass

14. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

Sorry to revive such an old thread. But I'd like to read some better side by side impressions of how these sets compare. I own the 69's but never got to try out the Kinmans. Like the op asked, what does one do different then the other....pros/cons.