Fender Cabronita

stratplexi

Silver Supporting Member
Just picked up this little 7.5 lb. gem over the weekend. I lucked out and found one within a short drive from one of our members here. What a sweet little guitar! I brought it home and did my normal set up on it and it plays perfectly and I cannot find a flaw on it. Workmanship and fretwork are excellent! This is my first guitar with these style pickups and I am really liking them. They have a lot of chime, clarity and midrange. So far, I don't see a need to change them out or add a tone pot. It even has some birdseye and flame on the neck! Needless to say, I am digging it!

Seems right at home with the rest of my electrics...

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Such a great platform. I can't seem to wrap my mind around no tone control, but that is my issue. Your new guitar is fantastic.

stratplexi

Silver Supporting Member
Many thanks guys! I spent some time playing it tonight...man this thing sounds great. I played 7-8 songs (played along with MP3s) and it sits well in a mix. I made a few tiny tweaks to the pickup height for my personal preference and it really has soooo much midrange character. Anyway, just thought I would share my thoughts on the pickups/tones.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations, Cabronitas are very cool guitars. Enjoy! :beer

Last edited:

sliberty

What pickups does tHis one have? Are they Fidelatrons, or some TV Jones model, or the standard Gretsch Filtertrons?

I had a Cab, and tried both the TV Jones classic plus and the Gretsch H?S? Filtertron. I liked the Gretsch better as the TV jones had too much midrange honk for my taste. Although, the difference was minor. That midrange did work well for slide though :)

Da Geezer

Silver Supporting Member
Such a great platform. I can't seem to wrap my mind around no tone control, but that is my issue. Your new guitar is fantastic.
Same here, but I've worked around this with other guitars using a concentric stacked dual pot....very elegant solution.

OP...nice score!

How do the pickups compare tonewise vs the p90s in your LP? (I know & love p90 tone, so that's why I mention those). Are they "hot", low wind, or middle of the road?

G

Here's a concentric on a tele where I wanted separate volumes for each pickup. The black "ring" is the tone control.

jota

Congrats. the black pickguard looks sharp!
I have the Squier version and I've changed the bridge, the pot (250k to 500k) and the knob.
I have a set of TV Jones Filtertrons on a Gretsch and would love to try them on the Cabronita but it's too much work to get them out there!
For some reason there's something about the sound of the Fidelitrons that I don't like when I'm hearing the guitar through the amp! But everytime I hear it recorded it sounds great so it is my main guitar with my band!
Here it is with the new bridge:

stratplexi

Silver Supporting Member
This one has the stock pickups. They are not very hot....similar in output to the P90s in my Gibson. The P90s have a broader frequency range and a little less midrange complexity. The P90 neck is darker sounding. I always tweak the pickup height to my preferences and on this one I lowered the neck fidelitron down some withe the bass side a tad lower than the treble side. I raised the bridge pickup a little and it's about the same on the bass and treble side. These tiny changes really enhanced the tones and volume balance in all positions. I am just playing through a Bad Cat 5w 1-12 combo but the guitar pairs perfectly with the amp and I don't miss a tone control. I wil add one if I need it.

custom53

My Guitar Tech/Luthier built one very similar.. Love the sound and feel of it.. I also like the Reversed Controls..

Trending Topics