Fender Champ 600

abcman

Hi all, I am a guitar newbie and I recently got myself a Squier CV 60s Strat and a Fender Champ 600 after reading those awesome reviews about the gear.
I got my gears all from the used market, the strat is awesome but I have a question on the champ 600.
It got a very low voloume output. I can barely hear the sound until I turn the volume up to around 5 and growmloud steadily up to 12 (i plug in the high input channel), is this normal? cause for other amps, I usually just turn the volume to around 2 and max 3 for quiet bedroom playing at night.
Does this mean I need to change the tube or what? this is my first time experience with a tube amp.
any advice to my case? thanks in advance!:beer

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
One issue with the Champ 600 is the grill cloth...it's really thick and deadens the volume somewhat. Lot's of people replace it with aftermarket grill cloth...oxblood is a popular choice.

abcman

Thanks for the input John.
But the problem is i cant hear the guitar sound even the volume is turn to 3 and 4, does it mean there is something wrong in my amp?

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
No, that's not normal. I had one and it was audible plus some for bedroom playing at 3-4 on the volume dial. Not sure what the issue is, but you should be able to hear it.

guitguy28

I think you should try plugging into the "low" input. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the high input is for high-output guitars and the low input is for low-output guitars. Try it and see anyway.

The other thing is that the Champion 600 is a very low-powered amp. It's only 5 watts, and it has a low-powered speaker. It's meant to be that way so you can turn it up and get a classic overdriven tube sound at a very reasonable volume level.

If the Champ 600 doesn't have enough power for you, you may want to consider another one of Fender's amps like the Blues Junior, if you want to stay with a Fender amp.

abcman

Thanks guys, I tried to plug into the 'low' input, but it is even worse, although it is a 5watts amp but it shouldnt be that Low volume like Pax said. (my friend's VOX AC4tv mini with 1/4 watts is MUCH Louder than my champ 600)
So I assume there is some problems with my amp, but what is the first step or which part should I check?
(The tube is very warm, after I swtich it on for like 15 min, which I assume is normal)

TJNies

I think you should try plugging into the "low" input. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the high input is for high-output guitars and the low input is for low-output guitars. Try it and see anyway.
It's actually the other way around. Input 1 is higher-gain than Input 2.

I have one and no it's not loud at 2 or 3, but keep in mind that it's only 5 watts. Not 5 watts like Dr Z or Swart (they can get prtty loud).

And yes as mentioned the grille cloth is more like a blanket. Change that out and you'll hear a difference.

Also, maybe the pickups on your guitar need to be raised a bit.

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
No, that's not normal. I had one and it was audible plus some for bedroom playing at 3-4 on the volume dial. Not sure what the issue is, but you should be able to hear it.
I'm going to amend my post here. I totally forgot that the guy I bought it from had already done several of these mods. I owned it awhile ago and just didn't recall until I read more of these posts. Sorry about that.

The grill was changed, the tubes replaced w/ JJs and it had a speaker swap for a Weber. That's a lot of changes and I'm sure helped the output. I don't think I'd spend the cash for all that considering the amp, but I was happy to get all that for a decent used price. Regardless, if you're using it for bedroom volume it seems you shouldn't have a problem getting there even if you need to go past 3-4 (...turn it to 11!).

HawkeyeKane

Sounds to me like you might have a bad 6V6 or a faulty output transformer. The latter of which can happen if at any point in time, the amp has been switched on without a speaker connected to the leads. You might wanna get that checked out by your local ampaholic technician.

monkmiles

Silver Supporting Member
I've noticed that volume knobs on a couple of my fender amps are not linear...by that I mean you don't get much volume until you hit 4, yet the output cranking the volume knob is true to its wattage designation. I have a '71 Bandmaster like this (not much volume till 4, but puts out 35-40 watts cranked according to the tech who checked on this same issue for me).

abcman

Thanks for all the great helps! I think I will take it to the amp tech for a check and maybe replace the power tube.
I searched on the internet and many suggested a JJ replacement of the 6V6, any other great power tube I may also consider?
I am after a classic blues rock tone, like SRV, David Gilmour.

Trending Topics