Fender Champ speaker upgrade help...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jhfire, Feb 19, 2007.

1. jhfire

jhfire Supporting Member

I just purchased a 74' Fender champ and want to upgrade the speaker, i've read that Weber makes great speakers. I went on their website and they have MANY speakers for the amp, I'm lost, ceramic vs. AlNiCo. I have no idea on the difference. I currently play a DRRI with a fulltone fulldrive in a alt- country band and plan on doing some recording soon. What is going to be the best for my situation. Anyone with a champ/weber speaker offer input? Thanks :BEER

2. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I have a 70 Vibro Champ with a Weber alnico Signature 8S slpeaker. Very pleased with its tone, clean and dirty.

3. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Call CJ or Ted at Weber, they will help you decide tone-wise. Some AlNiCos won't fit in some Champ enclosures.

4. Clearspider

Clearspider Guest

In a related note, I found the sweetest sounding Champ ever yesterday. Good bye Pro Jr...

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

I own a 1974 Vibro-Champ. It came with the CTS ceramic speaker which works perfectly but I too thought I would upgrade it. I bought a Weber 8A-125 and it darkened the amp too much for my taste. I put the original speaker back in and like it much, much more. That's not to say I won't try someting else but I'm certainly not in a hurrry and for now I love how this amp sounds, original speaker and all but I do have some fine vintage tubes driving it so that helps a lot.

6. jhfire

jhfire Supporting Member

Thanks, I think I gonna try this one out.