Fender champ two tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesmain, Sep 21, 2006.

1. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

My harp player just dropped his champ off for me to play thru and dang this lil puppy smokes. Anyone hip to these amps?:dude

2. Skip62

Skip62 Member

I have 65 Blackface and it's my favorite amp. Love the little guy. What you probably don't know is more of your favorite recordings are done with Champs then probably any other amp. Layla being the prime example. Eric is playing a tweed champ, and Duane is playing a silverface. All of the KISS records are recorded with Champs. Plug that thing into a 4x12, crank it up, close your eyes and tell me it doesn't sound like a marshall. I actually did that to a buddy of mine. I had my Champ sitting on top of my JTM45. The Champ was plugged into the cab. We played for a couple of hours and stopped for a break, and my buddy says "man the Marshall sounds good", I said "look again, it's not on, that's the Champ". You should'a seen the look on his face :crazyguy

Enjoy

3. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Too cool I hooked it up thru my pwr amp in on one of my combo amps.I was like damn this lil guys slays! This is a blackface amp.How to I tell what year she is?

4. JJman

JJman Member

2 tubes total or 2 output tubes?

Former would mean the rectifier tubes was replaced with diodes. Latter would be a Super Champ? Champ II?

5. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

power tubes 2 - 6v6's ,two pre amp and a rect. tube

I can't get over how great it sounds.

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

It doesn't say Super Champ on the faceplate?

7. Skip62

Skip62 Member

If it's a blackface or silverface for that matter, be careful about matching ohms, the transformers don't like anything above 4 ohms and will burn up. Here's a good resource
    http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/ffg_faq.html

8. CMB

CMB Member

OP is taling about a Champ II - 18 watts, 2 6v6, 2 12ax7, solid state rectifier, hard-wired (at least mine is) 10" speaker. Basically a Super Champ minus the reverb and boost function.

Great amps - love mine to death. Much different than any era of the 1x8" Champ.

craig

9. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

10. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I'll check the amp face plate when I get home this afternoon.I called my harp player and he sold it to me.I'll play it round the house and I love the tone.Thank you guys for adding to this and my other post on the forum.I enjoy the threads .

Johnny

11. CMB

CMB Member

Bluesmain - I'm almost certain you are referring to the Champ II; your own posts seem to confirm that. Other posters are seeing 'Champ' and thinking tweed / blackface / silverface 1 x 8" amps.

Your amp should say 'Champ II' on a blackface-style control panel with vol, treble (pull boost), bass, and master - correct? Hardwired 10" speaker, line out on the back (which is what you used to plug in to the power-amp in of your combo)?

As I said - completely different amp than the old 1 x 8" Champ's. These were only built in '82 and '83. You can find a little bit of info and see a picture of one here: http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/. Basically a stripped-down Super Champ - so a search here for 'Super Champ' will get you some info too (you can search for 'Champ II' but there's only a handful of results).

craig

12. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

:confused:

13. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

So 82- 83:confused: ?

14. shackleton

shackleton Member

Totally wrong. Too low an ohms is hard and could blow a transformer.

15. Ginglymus

Ginglymus Member

Nope. The transformer is more stressed by a higher impedance mismatch. Lower than recommended loads are harder on the power tube(s).

16. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Great sounding little amp really, Hard to believe that is can get so loud.

17. metropolis74

metropolis74 Member

[​IMG]