Fender Champ X2 direct to PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tideluva, May 6, 2016.

1. tideluva

tideluva Member

Hi all.
    First, I do NOT gig. I play at my church and currently have a HRD that I have modded and I use it as a clean pedal platform and I love my tones (volume on 2-3).
    We are currently trying to get stage volumes under control (we have IEM's) so I was looking at the Fender X2 to go direct out to the PA on channel 1 set clean with my pedals as delay, OD, etc. Thoughts?
    I will say that I had a Mustang that sounded like crap with pedals because it was all modeling so I wasn't sure about this.
    Any insight is appreciated.

2. tkachuk07

tkachuk07 Member

I have a mustang III & I've used pedals with good results. I generally don't use it that way as I can get all the tones I need with the modeling & effects in the amp. The SCX2 has the same mustang modeling engine. You would be running pedalboard - digital preamp - line out - PA. The tubes would have no impact on the sound to the audience or the IEMs.

I would suggest a direct device of some sort. If you like it simple and just want to use your pedal board, the Tech 21 Blonde, Leeds, etc. are good choices. A Zoom G3, Atomic Amplifier are some digital devices you could use depending on your budget.

I've run a Zoom G3 direct the PA multiple times & it worked great. I didn't use any other pedals in my case, just what the Zoom has to offer, which is quite a lot in a small package.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    tideluva likes this.
  3. tideluva

tideluva Member

So it uses the same modeling engine regardless of whether I use channel 1 or the modeling channel 2?

4. tkachuk07

tkachuk07 Member

Yes, both channels are digital preamp.