Fender Champion 600 as "practice version of my full-size amp"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Benjam226, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

2. groovington

groovington Member

I use one as a practice amp. I don't run too many pedals into it very often, but if you put a smooth OD into it w/ a compressor and some reverb, it sounds pretty good. I put a USA 12ax7 into it, and it definitely improved its tone too. There are also mods you can do to it too, but I've never bothered.

3. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

They're really fun! I have one sitting on my desk in my office (work from home). If I'm having a rough day it's all like, "HAY, play me!" and I'm all like, "Okay!"

Didn't bother modding it. That's not why I bought it. :)

4. televox

televox Member

Great home practice amp, especially for players who use pedals.
    Makes a great recording amp as well.

5. Occam

Occam Member

I use the Champ 600 as mini-version of my rig. I even have very similar pedalboards for my house and studio. I kinda cheat though. My 600 has the Mercury Magnetics mod and I even pulled the chasis out and put it in a larger cab with a 1x12. It doesn't really sound that much like my Matamp but I can fake it.

6. sink

sink Member

I got one for less than $50 from GC. Stock, I think it sounds crappy. At bare minimum, you should put decent tubes in & rip out the grill cloth. It's a loin cloth material that really dampens the speaker (which actually doesn't sound bad after that). I ended up ripping out the guts & put in a 5C1 circuit along with a new Weber. Much better now.

New tubes & grill cloth completely change this amp.

7. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I'm mainly just wanting something that can do my rig's tone at a "house" volume (where my ears won't be ringing after an hour of practice.)

8. yellow_se

yellow_se Member

My buzzed a good bit, by the time I bought the amp, added a 8" weber speaker, mod kit from ebay, new grill cloth and new tubes. Had about $300 in the amp. It does sound good now, but if I had it to do over again I would just buy a better amp. Use my 80s super champ more anyway to practice.

9. sink

sink Member

I don't think out of the box they are great amps. Better stuff to be had for used once you factor in a few changes. Plus, 6" speakers are not the most useful size.

10. odd

odd Member

11. mcgraham

mcgraham Member

Great amps. Great for learning how tube amps work when cranked as well.

Normally they are too loud for diming and using for practice, however, here is a trick I found that makes it into a practice volume amp, totally cranked, and useable as a mic>PA type amp.

1. Get a chair with a padded seat cushion, and/or fold up a towel to create cushion on a chair.
    2. Place the amp grille-cloth face down on the cushion/towel.
    3. Plug straight in and dime the amp.
    4. Go!

You should find that the weight of the amp bearing down on the padding naturally attenuates the sound without coupling it into the floor and without substantially affecting the tone of the amp. The back port provides the 'cranked amp' sound at appropriate volume levels. You can point a mic at the port just like you would a normal speaker, but you need to mount it vertically.

If you find it's a touch too dirty for your tastes, it's very easy just to replace the 12AX7 with a lower gain preamp valve.

You can then use the volume knob on your guitar to control gain levels and really experience a cranked amp sound at manageable levels.

12. DRS

DRS Member

I have one. Out of the box, they are OK but not great. Un-modded, a used Cube 15 or 30 is twice the amp.

But I did the following mods and now it is a great little single-ended banger of an amp.

• change the grill cloth - the stock one barely passes air
    • change the stock tubes - I threw in some GTs I had lying around and even they were a big improvement
    • Remove the tone stack and replace with a .022mfd cap-now it sounds like a tweed champ
    • installed a Weber sig 8" -I had to cut a new baffle board out of 3/8" plywood but the new speaker really opens this amp up. You can get a weber 6" if you don't want to cut a new baffle. If you do opt for the 8", do the grill cloth after as the size changes (duh).
    These mods cost about $40-70 if you do them yourself.

13. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

love it as a practice amp and recording amp
    I think these are really great

14. Alvis

Alvis Member

:agree

I kinda feel by the time you're done with all the stuff you need to do to it for some tone, might have been better off with the Epi Valve jr combo . You have to do a little tweakin to VJs too but not as much

When I did the preamp mod,I also put a concentric dual pot in there so there could be a passive tone control (like on a guitar) so you can cut some highs when playin harmonica outa the thing

I finally got around to pullin the grille cloth . Man you can carry water in that thing ! I replaced it with a piece of dark brown burlap from the yardage section at wal-mart (about 2-7 bucks depending on the packaging)

I used the Weber 6" alnico ....they must've seen this amp comin . A very nice speaker ,solid
    Now its a roadworthy tone-ful amp. I dont have to take my (tweeded) silverface out & beat it up

[​IMG]

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

This advice below with one one important change. Just sit the amp face down beside you on the couch. My favourite practice amp move in the world. You get a more manageable volume, a great tone out of the back, and the amp vibrates the cushions beneath you making it feel like you're actually playing a bigger amp and better connecting you to your music.