Fender Champion 600 problem help?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Rude80, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Rude80

Rude80 Member

Hi all,

This is my first thread and hoping someone knowledgable out there can help.
    I have installed a Jenson 6-15 and some good quality tubes in to my FC 600 (5watt fender tube amp) - the mods were recommended by Watford Valves in the UK so im sure i got the parts right. Amp is very cool - great for what I need (something quiet with tone).

But when turning the volume up past half way I begin to get this kind of background crackle/buzz/hiss that gets louder as the volume is increased. The tone gets better with the volume and it starts to break up nicely but this flippin' crackle is annoying and amp becomes impossible to record with. I changed the valves/speaker myself so may have done something wrong (although there didnt seem to be anything to it). No biaising was necessary.

Can anybody make any suggestions? would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

2. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

The buzz and hiss is probably just the amp; the crackle may be a little bit of speaker rattle or possibly a loose tube. It's difficult to say without hearing it, though

3. Rude80

Rude80 Member

Hi - cheers for the reply.

Ill see if the speaker needs tightening and will jiggle the valves and see if I can shove 'em in a bit tighter without breaking them. Its definitely more the crackle than the buzz that worries me so hopefully its an easy fix. Will see how we go!

Thanks again,
    Rude

4. Rude80

Rude80 Member

Hey - if any body can still maybe input, the noise is probably more like static than anything else. And if only kicks in just after half way on volume and it the deaper bigger the string i pluck the worse it gets, eg, its at its worst when plucking the G string.

Cheers.

5. BenBo

BenBo Member

Loose solder joint? Maybe the speaker connections.

6. photomat

photomat Member

Mine was like that, and I thought it was just the crummy tubes that came with the amp. It sounds like small arching in the tube. Most notable when warming up. Mine seems to go away after it has warmed up.

7. dirtypool

dirtypool Member

Amersfoort, near Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Europ
    Do a search on Youtube, a guy posted a vid how he got rid of that noise