Fender Champion 600 vs VibroChamp XD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telecaster62, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I'm in need of a small practice amp. I may even use it at acoustic gigs to run my telecaster for a few tunes. For those of you who have played both of these amps, which did you prefer and why? There none of these to be found in my hometown so any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Well I guess either nobody has played these amps or they are just not boutique enough to elicit a response from this board. Thanks anyway.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not a boutique guy and I feel your pain about trying to elicit responses on non-expensive (but good) gear here on TGP so I'll chime in. I would definitely go for the Vibro Champ XD. Especially if it's to be used for mostly live stuff. There is just more available there and the reviews all over (especially on the Fender site) are great. People are selling/taking back their 600's to go for the XD models. Search this forum for Super Champ XD (same amp, but 2 channels I think). I decided the XD series of amps was NOT for me only because it would not fit my recording direct to DAW criteria. I really wanted that amp, but by the time I figured out the best config for recording direct I would just use my Rivera anyway (pseudo-boutique I guess you could say).
    There's good stuff out there for less money... believe it.

4. Joe M

Joe M Member

The VCXD is much more versatile than the 600 because of the effects. I always felt that the 600 was very boxy sounding compared to the VCXD. And, of course, the VCXD has a bigger speaker which will make it sound louder even though they both put out 5 watts. For a difference of ~$50, I'd go with the VCXD over the 600.

5. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to get to try them both out soon.

6. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I bought the 600, put 2 vintage tubes in it, and run it into a 2x12 greenback loaded cab... incredible tone IMO.

7. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

BOth are good amps,but the 600 is really a tweed 1 trick pony,though a good pony. THe super champ XD will be the ticket for you. Modeling with tubes and it really sounds good.

And I'd check the Boutique attitude at the door, There are many kind understanding folks here,but we also don't live here.