Fender Chorus Footswitch-should it work the same as a regular channel select switch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DesertCoupe5.0, Feb 26, 2015.

1. DesertCoupe5.0

DesertCoupe5.0 Member

I bought one because I wanted a narrow one to change channels on my fender hot rod instead of the 2-button switch it came with. The chorus footswitch (p/n 037659) lights up, but doesn't change channels. I don't know if I bought a bad switch (eBay) or it somehow works differently. Thanks!

2. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Not sure what you bought, but a number of the Fender 2-button footswitches with Channel switching on one side and Chorus/Boost/Etc functions on the other side use internal circuit boards rather than normal open/close latch switching. And I think they also use normal cords rather than TRS (stereo) cords to operate correctly.

I don't get why, but in my experience, a normal latching footswitch will work to replace the left function (usually channel switch), but will not work for the other function. If the chorus switch you bought also has the wacky circuit board guts, (which seems likely since it says Chorus) it won't work for your channel switching.

I think you need a normal, run-of-the-mill single button footswitch like a gazillion after-market sellers provide.

(BTW -- let me know if you decide to part with that switch. I didn't even know they made a single button switch for the chorus and I'd like to try it with my Princeton Chorus. As I said, no regular latching switch works for the chorus function.)