Fender Classic Player 60's Opinions please.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by acoustic0804, Dec 17, 2009.

1. acoustic0804

acoustic0804 Member

So im thinking about picking up a 2001/2002 classic player 60's for what i think is an incredible price.

Ive owned the classic 60's and liked it very much (for a MIM). Ive heard the Classic Player is comparable to American Standards, as the CP60 is all american parts, just constructed in Mexico.

So with that said, owners and players of CP60's... lend me your thoughts.

2. McStrats

McStrats Member

CP60's Strat's came into production in 2006 if I'm not mistaken.

3. DanR

DanR Member

I have a Classic 60's Vintage Player Stratocaster Special Edition. I 'think' that's what it's called. It came with American hardware, Texas Special pickups (the in between positions are humbucking) and one of the tone controls works on the bridge pickup also. It also has bigger frets and a 9.5" fretboard radius. Mine is from '04 and I bought it in '05. And mine is a really nice shade of Sonic Blue.

As far as my opinion of the guitar, I gig with it regularly, it plays well and sounds great.

[​IMG]

4. gasjunkie

gasjunkie Member

Classic Players 60 Stratocaster
    Fingerboard 12" radius
    21 medium Jumbo Frets
    Introduced 7/2006
    http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0141100300
    Unique Features:
    Aged Knobs and Switch Tip,
    Vintage Style Tuning Machines,
    Custom �69 Single-Coil Strat® Pickups,
    21 Medium Jumbo Frets,
    �Custom Shop Designed� Neck Plate,
    Vintage Style 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo,
    12� Fingerboard Radius,
    Synthetic Bone Nut

Classic 60 Stratocaster
    Fingerboard 7 1/2" radius
    21 vintage style frets
    Introduced 1/1999
    http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0131000309
    Unique Features:
    Aged Knobs and Switch Tip,
    Vintage Styling,
    Synthetic Bone Nut

5. peterjh85

peterjh85 Member

I picked one up here not too long ago. Great guitar. Sounds really "stratty"

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Sounds right to me. So the guitar in question is either 2006 or newer or it is not a Classic Player.

Can the O.P. clarify, please?

7. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

It is confusing because there was an earlier, short lived series with the same or similar name. I had a Classic Player 50s from the current (mine was an 07, I think) series and it was a fine Strat. The 60s shared the same bridge but the other features (neck, pickups, tuners, etc.) were all different. However, I have a neck from the earlier series. I'm not sure if it had exactly the same name (ebay purchase) but it's from 01 or 02. It's also a 50s version but is a nice chunky neck with a 9.5 radius and medium frets. My point is, I don't know if there was a 60s counterpart but if so, it's possible it could be an earlier model and not the current Classic Player 60s. To further confuse matters, Fender made a Custom Shop "Classic Player" as well, and I've seen those from 01. Sounds like a little further research is in order.

8. DanR

DanR Member

My Strat was made in '04 and I purchased it new from a store in '05. It must have been hanging there for a while. Musician's Friend was advertising the same guitar in Sonic Blue or Shoreline Gold. It was a Vintage Player version of their Classic 60's Strat. There is a special edition decal on the back of the headstock. The earlier versions came with Texas Special pickups as opposed to the more recent version with the Custom 69 pickups. It had an alder body and USA hardware (bridge, steel block as opposed to zinc).

There definitely were two similarly named Strats from slightly different time periods, in addition to the regular Classic 60's model. It sounds like the OP is referring to the earlier version, which I also own.

9. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Thanks for that info. Since I only purchased a neck from one, I only had the seller's information. Vintage Player (as opposed to Classic Player) sounds right now that you mention it. My neck does have the "Special Edition" on the back of the headstock, so that would seem to confirm it. Nice neck BTW. Chunkier than the current CP 50s, but with similar frets and radius. I used it to build a Mary Kaye replica.

[​IMG]

10. Tubebender

Tubebender Member

If your talking about the Custom shop designed Cp60 with the 69 pups, big vintage trem block, then I'll tell you that I choose to play mine over a few am series I own. F'n bitchen guitar.

11. blueslover

blueslover Member

My CP 60's in Sonic Blue has blown away all the American Standards I've played. They are very nice guitars.

12. matrixgdx5

matrixgdx5 Member

+1. pickups are excellent, and i'm loving the neck

13. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

I have one from 2008, here's what I noticed from mine but YMMV

Pros:
    Pretty good neck profile
    Good stock hardware
    Flat radius if you like that

Cons:
    Not the most resonant
    Average sustain
    Stock CS69 pickups are kind of weak (I heard though that the older CP60s have better sounding stock pickups and that the newer ones have more generic sounding "69"s. I'm not sure if they sound like the aftermarket ones.. can anyone compare them?)

14. sliberty

sliberty Member

I have a Classic 60's at home, and have played the Player at GC. I like the guitar, but it has a non-vintage fretboard radius, which for me was a deal breaker. I really hate Strats with a 12" radius. I can bearly survive the 9 1/2" radius. 7 1/4" is my preference, so the Player just isn't in the running.