Fender classic players 50's Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jack Dotson, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Any love for this guitar?

I had to take back my an American Tele I bought a couple of weeks ago after I discovered and hairline crack on the back of neck. I initinally just wanted an even trade for another American Tele, but our GC didn't have a single one in stock.

I had the option to wait or take something else and since I didn't really have anything better to do yesterday, I decided I would try every Strat/Tele they had and see if something got my fancy.

I must have played 15 different models before I got my hands on this strat. But, once I plugged her in it didn't take me but a minute to realize I couldn't leave the store without her.

She's the shoreline gold model with the awesome looking vintage pick-up's, knobs, etc. But, it wasn't the looks that sold me, it was that tone. You know how it is when you have that ideal tone in your head. You know, the one you never find. :rotflmaoWell, I found it. Strat tone that is.

I've owned several strats and tele's over the years, all American models prior to this one, but none have excited me like this one did.

You don't see this model mentioned very often so I thought I'd share my experience and see if anyone shares my enthusiasm for what I think is a great guitar.

Sometimes things happen for the best. If they had another American Tele in stock I would never have even tried this guitar.

2. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Have the same one! well.. one just like it. :) I know what you mean. The tones are great and with the blending of the neck and bridge pups you get all types of sounds. When I play it, I hear Strat tones from rock songs I grew up listening to. This is one that I did not have to do anything with except for straplocks. The flatter radius neck helps too. I think that I would have preferred to have just plain vintage tuners instead of the lockers since I don't use the trem bar. Congrats!

3. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Actually, I haven't shut up about this model since one unexpectedly went home with me after beating out a whole bunch of much more expensive Strats. I'd go play a higher end model, think it was pretty nice, then go back and play the CP 50s and have a hard time putting it down. The workmanship is clean, the neck is great, the weight is right, and the pickups are more than decent (although I suspect an upgrade would make it even better). Basically, it has what you look for in a good Strat. I have Strats with higher end components, and they're great guitars. But on the gig, the CP 50s feels great and makes all the right noises. Definitely a keeper.

4. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

I did the same exact thing - went to the store looking for a stratocaster but hadn't decided on any model. I picked up the guitar in shoreline gold and it was mine - walked out of the store with a STEAL of a price too.

I love this guitar.

5. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I think a lot of players don't even look at these because they're not US made. I had never even considered one myself. The 799 asking price seemed like a lot of money for a MIM guitar and the MIM models I'd looked at in the past weren't all that impressive. I probably never would have tried it had I walked into the store planning to buy a Strat that day. I would have gone straight to the models my preconceptions told me were the ones to look at. As it was, I just pulled it off the rack out of curiosity and was almost shocked. Before I even plugged it in I could see the build quality was tighter than virtually anything else in there. The fretwork was as good as any of them and the neck pocket fit was tight and precise. The finish was perfect, and the setup was the best I've seen in a production Strat since the '69 I bought new in 1970. I plugged it in and played it for a good half hour, intermittently trying other models for comparison (American, EJ, Mayer, etc.). The conclusion I reached was this is not just a good value, it's a fine Strat by any measure. I do think it could be improved incrementally with upgraded pickups, but there's nothing really wrong with the 57/62 pickups it has. Some have complained about the unique wiring. I'd say try it, if you don't like it, wire it standard. Another complaint has been the two-point trem on an otherwise vintage looking guitar. Doesn't bother me, and it is very functional. I walked out the door with it for a hundred and fifty less than asking price. I have much more expensive Strats, but this one hangs right with them.

6. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

Im really looking forward to trying one of these

7. meterman

meterman Member

I haven't spent much time with the 50s but I had the same experience with a Sonic Blue Classic Players 60s Strat. Once I got past the idea of a MIM for that price I realized it was a very nice instrument and the combination of features and great CS '69 pickups make it one of the most satisfying Strats to play I've ever owned. If I didn't already have a sunburst EJ I'd take a hard look at the CP50s. CS design, MIM production, good parts, nice price...

8. BigMuffPI

BigMuffPI Member

I just sold mine. A great guitar in most ways, as stated above. Mine was just too heavy: 4.1kg = 9 pounds. Played a couple of other CP50's today in a local store, and they were much lighter. They also sounded better, with a more open and resonant tone. Find a good one, and you'll get muchos muchos guitar for the money.

9. meterman

meterman Member

Yeah that's a good point there was some weight variation in the CP60s I tried too, have to hunt for a lighter one with the most comfortable neck...

10. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Absolutely. I haven't weighed mine but it is nice and light. And sings like a bird.

11. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

I bought one a few weeks ago site unseen. My buddy was in a guitar center & called me to tell me that had a strat that I might be interested in (I'm not really interested in strats, but needed one for certain tunes, etc.). Anyway, it was a new 50's Classic Players Strat in Shoreline Gold for $299.00 Needless to say, I had him snatch it. Guess they were blowing this one out. Great guitar so far.

12. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

$299! You did real good to snatch that up. I'd buy another one in a second for that price.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Crap!!! I don't need a Strat but for $299 I would have taken it too!

14. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

Definately the best deal I have gotten in awhile, expecially from a music store. At that same trip my buddy (bass player) bought a Gallien Krueger 4 X 10 cab (the high end, not the cheaper series) for $99.00. The exact same cabinet was sitting beside it for $799.00 Not sure the reasoning on that. When he went up to pay for it & the strat they gave him some casters for the cabinet. Also, the other guitar player was there & snatched a new American Std. Tele for $399.00. Got it home & rolled it on Ebay for a pretty nice profit. They also had a couple Hwy 1 basses for $299.00. If they would have had some extra cash they would have snatched them as well & turned them on Ebay. Timing was on their side that day.

15. dougb415

dougb415 Member

MAJOR LOVE! My wife and I were looking for a Strat at the local store, and I couldn't find a model I liked... until I found *my* Shoreline Gold CP 50's Strat. I tried a couple others but they weren't right. We took it back into the amp room, plugged it in.... oh my. Big, round, warm tone. We brought it home this past Saturday, and Curvy Redhead (my '06 R9) is getting jealous.