Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocaster Neck Size?

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have experience with this model. Been wanting one for a long time now, but I can never find one in stock near me. I tend to like medium C necks, larger than the Fender Modern C. I know this one as a U profile, and I played a few real 70s strats today. Some were nice sized and some were slim.

Any thoughts, reviews, and measurements would be really awesome.

Thanks!!!

stahlhart

I have one, with a rosewood neck -- I could take some micrometer measurements, if you gave me the points at which to take them. It pretty much feels similar to the maple necks on my MIM 50s Strats, apart from the fingerboards obviously, and I believe they're the same radius.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
I have one, with a rosewood neck -- I could take some micrometer measurements, if you gave me the points at which to take them. It pretty much feels similar to the maple necks on my MIM 50s Strats, apart from the fingerboards obviously, and I believe they're the same radius.
Awesome man! What year is your guitar? Basically the thickness at the 1st Fret and at the 12th Fret.

stahlhart

Touching the center of the fingerboard surface (not the fret) to the center of the back of the neck, just in front of the first fret 0.847", and just in front of the twelfth fret 0.907".

This was purchased new, in May if I remember correctly.

stahlhart

It now has a set of Fat '50s, and this past weekend I put in a cold rolled steel tremolo block, and I'm real happy with the results of that so far.

Last edited:

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
Touching the center of the fingerboard surface (not the fret) to the center of the back of the neck, just in front of the first fret 0.847", and just in front of the twelfth fret 0.907".

This was purchased new, in May if I remember correctly.
Thanks. You have a pic of the guitar?

HTSMetal

I have one as well -- it isn't as thick as you'd expect a neck described as "U" shaped would be, but it's definitely chunkier than the "modern C". It's a great neck shape to pair with a 7.25" radius fretboard. Here's a pic or two of mine, a 2013 MIM model:

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
I have one as well -- it isn't as thick as you'd expect a neck described as "U" shaped would be, but it's definitely chunkier than the "modern C". It's a great neck shape to pair with a 7.25" radius fretboard. Here's a pic or two of mine, a 2013 MIM model:

Nice!

agiehler

A few years back I played one at Sam Ash and it had a larger neck, so I ordered one online. When mine came it was about the same size as the Standard MIM. Returned it because I was disappointed. Also saw one yesterday in the used section at Guitar Center and it had a modern C sized neck as well.

I'd say it varies depending on the specific example, so be careful if buying blindly.

GarMan

Silver Supporting Member
A few years back I played one at Sam Ash and it had a larger neck, so I ordered one online. When mine came it was about the same size as the Standard MIM. Returned it because I was disappointed. Also saw one yesterday in the used section at Guitar Center and it had a modern C sized neck as well.

I'd say it varies depending on the specific example, so be careful if buying blindly.
I guess. I might not buy online then....however, I can't get my hands on one. LAME.

agiehler

I guess. I might not buy online then....however, I can't get my hands on one. LAME.
If you're looking for used, I would recommend the online used section at Guitar Center's website. You can get it ordered to your local store for pickup and just test it out there. If you don't like it, you can return it on the spot and not deal with the hassle and cost of return shipping. Or you have something like a month to try it at home as well.

You can also call the shop before ordering to ask about an in-hand description of the neck and condition.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fe...aster-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112672973.gc

Trending Topics