Fender clean-sound compact preamp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by mrCharlie, Sep 30, 2008.

1. mrCharlie

mrCharlie Member

Been searching for a "compact" preamp that can produce a Fender clean sound. Ideally, pedal sized. The preamp will plug DIRECTLY into a solid state power amp, so all tone would come from the preamp.
    Any suggestions? Many thanks!!

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The best and most flexible I know is the Sansamp. The original pedal not the GT3 or Triod. It's a little weird to get comfortable with the dip switches but it does a spot on Fender (tweed or BF) sound, it's not expensive, and when you're not using it for an amp sim it makes a great OD.

3. jay42

jay42 Member

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

If you want to cheap out I can recommend the Alesis DSP pedal. I've recorded directly into a computer soundcard and it sounds perfectly fine. There's 3 speaker settings and you can do a pretty good open-back emulation with reverb.

6. jay42

jay42 Member

hmm...just noticed this half of the equation. Power amp input requirements vary by the amount of power they offer. Put another way, they are usually fixed gain. A 9V powered stompbox may or may not have enough level to drive your PA. An 18V supplied box should be adequate.

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Tech 21 Blonde? Award-Session JD-10?

8. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

from my experience, i have used 3 things that can get the job done:

a damage control womanizer tube preamp pedal
    a yamaha magicstomp
    a tech 21 sansamp

i currently use the womanizer and the magicstomp live with a mosvalve poweramp.

9. doc

doc Member

Haven't tried 'em, but I'd definitely check out the Boss Fender emulation pedals. Probably try the Bassman version first.

10. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

The new Tech 21 Blonde pedal wipes the floor with the Boss pedals.

11. mrCharlie

mrCharlie Member

Thanks so much for many excellent suggestions.

I owned some solid state or digital pedals (e.g., Sans Amp Classic, Award-Session JD-10, Zoom G-2), liked them, but found myself missing the "glassiness" of a fender tube circuit. I will gladly try the suggestions you offered.

My guess is that I'll be happiest if I can find a clean-Fender sounding Showman/Blackface tube preamp that's built into a pedal or small box. Voodoo Lab has a wonderful 1-rack space pre-amp, which I own - my goal is to find something smaller so I can build it into a small case (for small gigs & as a back-up)

Anyone have any suggestion for a compact tube preamp?

12. jay42

jay42 Member

That's an Alembic F2-B. 1U rack space. The power supply makes it a bit hard to cram into a half-width or smaller package.

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Tweaking it carefully, my V-Stack Tweedy does a pretty convincing job through my acoustic amp. Better through the amps tube pre than through the line in - more EQ and reverb available. What I think is a good test is hitting the V-Stack with another pedal. I can get distortion that has dynamics and complexity, hitting it with a two stage gain pedal. Same gain pedal directly into the front of the acoustic amp sounds pretty nasty (no surprise). I use it a couple of ways - I carry the pedal as a backup, use it to run the acoustic amp stereo with a tube amp and use it to give may National a different feel in acoustic settings.

I listened to the DR and Bassman pedals when they first came out and directly to a board they sounded pretty awful. There are clips of the Ethos pedal clean into a solid state amp on the website and clips of this pedal recorded direct on this page. I've seen Micro Cubes used for this purpose too - gives you backup effects as well as a couple of useful amp tones.

14. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

15. jzucker

H&K tubeman is cool but doesn't have reverb. The Fuchs verbrator sounds great. Not exactly a fender tone but I use it with a SS bass amp to make the amp sound like a tube amp *AND* it has reverb.

The boss pedals are awful by the way. Sansamp is ok but doesn't really sound like a clean tube amp. The Alembic *IS* a fender preamp but it's bigger than what you're looking for. The (discontinued) Allen Soul-mate is a fender preamp in a stomp box. Good luck finding one. He also made some "improvements" to the circuit which cause it to lose some of the fender vibe IMO.

16. mrCharlie

mrCharlie Member

JGM - like a lot of solid state/digital pedals, like you, I've found they sound best through tubes.

Listening to everyone, there appears to be a number of ss pedals that get close to a glassy clean fender sound, and that's been my experience, also. Did I misunderstand anyone's suggestions here?

So I guess I'm looking for a compact (smaller than one rack space) tube pre-amp.

Jay42 - The Alembic is a great suggestion, where it not for the size. Anyone interested in the Alembic might check Voodoo Labs preamp (it's a Fender clean + 2 more channels).

jzucker - I will be using a T-Rex Roomate reverb pedal, so a preamp without reverb is fine. I'm wondering if H&K's pedals have a clean fender design? I know you like it, but do you think it's the sound I'm looking for?

Anyone own a Siegmund DoubleDrive? I once spoke with Chris (owner) who didn't seem to want to answer the question of it's EQ/sound. Sounds like it has the glassiness, but not sure about the appoximate EQ of a fender.

There's a guy in Canada, Stephenson, would makes a tube pedal. Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks again!!!! for all your terrific help. I really apprecate it.

17. jzucker

the tube factor (the original model) sounded very fenderish but had reliability issues. Haven't tried their newer stuff.

18. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

You know, if the Voodoo unit gets what you want (and you already own it), there are a lot of pedal boards with rack spaces built in these days. Might be simpler.

Jack - what's the story on the Fuchs unit? Tried running it direct?

Sure hope the pedal maunfacturers are reading all this, there are a lot of folks who could make use of and amp in a can to put on our pedal boards.

19. jzucker

The fuchs is a dumblator pedal with built-in digital reverb. It uses a standard 9v adapter but bumps that up to over 200V on the plates of the tube. It's got a great, tubey tone with a great digital reverb built in. It works great in front of an amp too. I plugged it into my markbass LMII and was very impressed how it turned that into a "tube" amp.

20. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Looked at the website, not listed yet. Are these in production now?

BTW - how did the Allen units sound?