Fender clean tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oneidabow1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. oneidabow1

oneidabow1 Member

What is the component in a Fender amp that gives it that special clean tone? Is itt he speakers, tubes, chassis layout or a combination? I was considering getting a 65 twin reverb reissue and noticed that they use 6L6's. Any other non-Fender amp come close?

2. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

3. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

It's all of those things and more. And even within the range of "Fender clean" there's quite a bit of variation (model, vintage, etc.).

My fav'rit is the Princeton Reverb. So lush!

4. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

My favourite of the current production line would be the DRRI and the PRRI. I have a Vox AC-30 (handwired UK edition from 2002), and I always wanted a Fenderish amp to complement it. So I've played lots of tube amps, including almost all current all-tube Fender and Rivera combo amps. I found that I liked the small form factor and simplicity of the Princeton, but preferred the 12" speaker and larger reverb tank of the DRRI. Then I found Vintage Sound Amps on the web, they make a Princeton Clone with 12" Weber California Speaker and large verb tank. Ordered one and never regretted it.

Here's two videos I made:

5. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

I am no expert but would say it is a combination of all of the things you mentioned.
    My favorite clean slate to play on was a 1970 Twin Reverb with JBL d-130-fs. I sold it a couple months ago, but kept the speakers. The thing was killing my back. But what a clean slate it was!

Steve

6. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

I agree, even the reissue's clean is sweet.

7. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

I like the sound. Now if someone would come out with an amp that does vintage and new sounds it would be a seller,maybe.