Fender Cleans + 6V6/6L6 + TMB + Master Vol + Low Watts = What amp?

What amp do you think is most appropriate for my needs?

• Dr. Z Cure

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Allen Accomplice Jr

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Bad Cat Classic Pro 20R

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Vintage Sound 15 or 20

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Mod a 65 DRRI or 68 CDR

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Build a Weber or Mojotone Deluxe Reverb Kit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...Please explain

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

atk1

Silver Supporting Member
I run the 100w Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo, mainly using the clean channel as a pedal platform, with the KoT as my main dirt, but also MIAB and TS boxes. The LS is switchable down to 50 and 10 watts, and the tweed power setting operates as a sort of variance to reduce the voltage. There are both tube and solid state rectifiers, full tone stack on both channels, and a gorgeous onboard tube reverb. Excellent loop as well. I also play Teles (well, ASATs) as well as humbuckers and P-90s and the amp never fails to deliver the Fendery goods.

The downside— its a heavy beast.

Used it will be well within your price range.

Absolutely THIS! I swapped out a heavily modded DRRI for a LS Classic Head. Awesome cleans and great pedal platform.

fred_

Silver Supporting Member
Well, i know folks don't like Morgan much these days, but i have two amps of his from the early days, and they are superb. If you can find one used, i'd suggest the Morgan RCA 35. Pretty versatile with the tube switching and all (can use 6L6, 6v6, kt66, el34, kt77, maybe others?) has the TMB, and master volume knobs, comes with or without reverb. Can be found used in your price range, though prob in the upper end of that...

rootsrockray

Silver Supporting Member
there is a nice looking Allen Accomplice Jr near the top of the emporium... price is right. I love the Allen Tone Savor I have, which is Allen's now discontinued Twin Reverb style clone. His amps are great, no frills but the sound is real sweet.

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies y'all. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Deadpool_25

Look into the Mesa California Tweed. I’m F’n loving it. I’m not familiar with actual tweed circuits like a bassman or whatever, but this amp is awesome and hits most of your marks. See bolded text below.

- Great cleans (pedal platform) but ability to crank it and get some tube overdrive at reasonable volumes Check.
- AB763 or AA1164 circuit (or something in the cleaner tweed family) idk...check?
- 6V6 or 6L6 tubes Check
- 15->30 watts Check
- 1 or 2 channels (single channel most likely) Check
- Treble + Middle + Bass tone-stack. (Presence optional) Check Check
- Master Volume (or attenuation, power scaling, etc.. Must have feature!) Check
- Spring Reverb (preferred, but optional) Check
- Tremolo (optional) Nope
- Effects Loop (optional) Check
- 1x12" Combo or Head (Combo preferred for cost reasons) Check
- Handwired (preferred, but not a necessity) No but Check anyway
- Budget = $1,750 max (would prefer to spend $1,250-1,500) Close...$1800

- Takes pedals like a champ
- Scales down to 2w

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
If you can find a used Bogner Duende 112 Combo (15 - 18W version / not 30W) it is worth a close look........IMHO.

6V6 Tubes, Reverb, Trem, MV, great cleans, takes pedals, channel blend, loop, can cover pretty much most styles apart from Heavy Rock / Metal.

Comes standard with a Celestion G12H30, which is a great match for this Amp.

:beer

Muttlyboy

Gold Supporting Member
There is a Carr Rambler in the Emporium for $1800.

As for Lil' Dawg, he could probably set up one of his amps with master volume.

For a low buck choice, look into the discontinued Vox TB18...its a somewhat Fender voiced amp with cathode biased 6v6 tubes that was designed by Tony Bruno...might find one for $300 on the low side. (Has an ok sounding digital reverb if you use it sparingly)

Another low buck (used) choice is the VHT 12/20...another Fenderish Voiced amp with sort of odd controls. They also have a reverb/trem version. Takes 6V6 tubes or 6L6

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I just snagged a 3rd Power/Wooly Coats Spanky MKII for $1,350!

I'll check back in soon and do a NAD. Thanks for the recs y'all!

Senor Forum

Platinum Supporting Member
I run the 100w Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo, mainly using the clean channel as a pedal platform, with the KoT as my main dirt, but also MIAB and TS boxes. The LS is switchable down to 50 and 10 watts, and the tweed power setting operates as a sort of variance to reduce the voltage. There are both tube and solid state rectifiers, full tone stack on both channels, and a gorgeous onboard tube reverb. Excellent loop as well. I also play Teles (well, ASATs) as well as humbuckers and P-90s and the amp never fails to deliver the Fendery goods.

The downside— its a heavy beast.

Used it will be well within your price range.

I went through damn near every amp on this list, and this was what I landed on.

I got a LSC 1x12 combo and have it running with a Lonestar 2x12 extension cab. Absolutely brilliant in every way. Best pedal platform I've ever owned, HUGE, fat cleans, liquid smooth distortion on channel 2, stellar loop, great power options, switching between SS and tube rectifier... I couldn't possibly ask for a better amp.

plan-x

I think the Mesa California Tweed came out after the OP started this thread. Edit: It was out ooops.

harvey j

I'm in the market for a new amp. I'm selling off my Vox AC4HW1 & Fender Blues Jr w/BillM Mods. My Fender 65 PRRI is going to move over at my stepmoms place (she plays, and it'll be "her" amp). Here is what I am looking for:

- Great cleans (pedal platform) but ability to crank it and get some tube overdrive at reasonable volumes
- AB763 or AA1164 circuit (or something in the cleaner tweed family)
- 6V6 or 6L6 tubes
- 15->30 watts
- 1 or 2 channels (single channel most likely)
- Treble + Middle + Bass tone-stack. (Presence optional)
- Master Volume (or attenuation, power scaling, etc.. Must have feature!)
- Spring Reverb (preferred, but optional)
- Tremolo (optional)
- Effects Loop (optional)
- 1x12" Combo or Head (Combo preferred for cost reasons)
- Handwired (preferred, but not a necessity)
- Budget = $1,750 max (would prefer to spend $1,250-1,500)

I would predominately be playing my mod'd Telecaster & Stratocaster, but occasionally a HSS Strat as well. Main dirt pedals will be Twin Bender, Sun Face, King of Tone, Timmy, Rattler+, and Lovepedal's Gold Ghost Super Six, Zendrive, LG Mosferatu, & Blackface Deluxe.

I live in a condo with shared walls, so volume management is of paramount importance. While the amp will be predominately used as a pedal platform, it would be nice to crank it up on occasion to to get it to edge-of-breakup or natural tube overdrive. With my current 65 PRRI, with a 5751 in V1, I can't get the amp up to 6 on the volume knob before some dirt starts to kick in, and by then it is often too loud.

Amps I am strongly considering:
- Wooly Coats Spanky MKII (basically my ideal amp, but a bit pricey)
- Carol-Ann Silk (see above)
- Allen Accomplice Jr. (can't demo one locally)
- Allen Chihuahua (can't demo one locally)
- Allen Sweet Spot (can't demo one locally)
- Dr. Z Z-Plus (demo'd it, LOVED it, but it's too pricey)
- Dr. Z Cure (demo'd it, love it. Probably my best contender)
- Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25 (demo'd it, liked it)
- Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special (EL84 = not ideal, but I love the Lone Star model on my Helix)
- Bad Cat Classic Pro 20R
- Marsh Clifton Jr
- Lil Dawg WonderDawg (no master vol)
- Vintage Sound 15 & 20 (demo both, enjoyed both, but no master vol)
- Fender 65 DRRI & 68 CDR (mod these amps to have master vol + more)
- Weber or Mojotone Deluxe Reverb kit (incorporate mods for master vol, lead channel, etc)

Currently I think my top contenders are:
1) Dr. Z Cure, 2) Allen Accomplice Jr, 3) MB Fillmore 25, & 4) MB Lone Star Special.

Are there any other amps out there that meet these criteria? What do y'all suggest? Thanks y'all!
take a look at the stew mac amp kits.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom