• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender Closet Classics

mathiassiv

Okay, so I'm buying a new Tele in about two weeks time. Thinking about going in on a Custom Shop model, because I am a fan of having a few top notch guitars rather than several guitars made on assembly lines in Mexico.

I've been looking a lot on the different models, but can't seem to get hold of which are the better ones. I don't know if they're all the same quality but some go cheaper than others.

The Closet Classic tele's looks interesting, and they are not as pricey (used!) as other models. Are these less good, or do they have lower retail value than other CS models?

What I've found:
NOS (New old stock)
Time Machine
Closet Classic
Reissues

I've seen a lot of these models relic'ed. Does increase the long term value a tiny bit, I think. Not necessary though.

I am looking for a 9,5 fretboard radius. Modern C shape neck. A soft V neck would do too, as I use my thumb a lot.

I've considered a Tom Anderson aswell, here on the emporium. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1286448

The Tele is supposed to compliment my Black1 strat.

Examples:
Closet Classic 60s:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Cust...t-/300939352523?pt=Guitar&hash=item46116219cb

52':
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Fender...6-/171088660046?pt=Guitar&hash=item27d5adc64e

63':
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-FENDER...E-/261249905314?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cd3b532a2

Any thoughts on which models that are my best buy? What should I look for?

Thanks! Any help is highly appreciated.
Mat.

jmp

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know much about Teles, but I have a 2000 Closet Classic Strat that I have owned since new.

The term "Closet Classic" refers to a finish option.

I don't know what Fender's current marketing is, but starting in the late 90's the Custom Shop revised their reissue line up and called it the Time Machine Series.

Within the Time Mashine series there were three finish options for guitars: N.O.S., Closet Classic and Relic. Prices went up as you moved from NOS to Relic, with Closet Classic being in the middle price-wise.

The point of the Closet Classic finish was that it was supposed to be a vintage guitar that was played sparingly over the years, but spending most of its time in the case. The finish is weather checked but not worn through, a few small dings but none through the finish, and tarnished (but not rusted) nickel hardware.

The Relic, on the other hand, was supposed to mimic a guitar that had been played hard its entire life with lots of dings, finish chips, rusted hardware and the lacquer worn off the back of the neck.

I don't think the Custom Shop currently offers a Closet Classic option, or at least I have not seen one for sale in a long time. They seem to have settled on the term "Relic" and usingt hat to describe a wide range of aged/distress finish options.

I, for one, don't like the Relic guitars. I'm careful with my guitars and would never abuse one to the point where it looked like a Relic.

I love the Closet Classics. It is like the difference between putting on a pair of brand new, stiff Levi's jeans vs. a pair of brand new stone-washed Levi's. The stonewashed jeans have that comfortable, broken in feel right away, but are still "new" and without all the rips and tears of a well-used pair.

mathiassiv

I don't know much about Teles, but I have a 2000 Closet Classic Strat that I have owned since new.

The term "Closet Classic" refers to a finish option.

I don't know what Fender's current marketing is, but starting in the late 90's the Custom Shop revised their reissue line up and called it the Time Machine Series.

Within the Time Mashine series there were three finish options for guitars: N.O.S., Closet Classic and Relic. Prices went up as you moved from NOS to Relic, with Closet Classic being in the middle price-wise.

The point of the Closet Classic finish was that it was supposed to be a vintage guitar that was played sparingly over the years, but spending most of its time in the case. The finish is weather checked but not worn through, a few small dings but none through the finish, and tarnished (but not rusted) nickel hardware.

The Relic, on the other hand, was supposed to mimic a guitar that had been played hard its entire life with lots of dings, finish chips, rusted hardware and the lacquer worn off the back of the neck.

I don't think the Custom Shop currently offers a Closet Classic option, or at least I have not seen one for sale in a long time. They seem to have settled on the term "Relic" and usingt hat to describe a wide range of aged/distress finish options.

I, for one, don't like the Relic guitars. I'm careful with my guitars and would never abuse one to the point where it looked like a Relic.

I love the Closet Classics. It is like the difference between putting on a pair of brand new, stiff Levi's jeans vs. a pair of brand new stone-washed Levi's. The stonewashed jeans have that comfortable, broken in feel right away, but are still "new" and without all the rips and tears of a well-used pair.

Thanks a bunch for clearing that up! I had misunderstood it completely. Great!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom