1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

fender concert II ?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by myles loud, Jun 14, 2006.

1. myles loud

myles loud Supporting Member

i have a fender concert II, i've heard it can run with el84 power tubes.
    any info on this ? thd yellow jackets or GT SubstiTubes etc?
    the concert runs 6l6's in the power section.
    thnx,
    myles

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

I doubt you have the height needed for the adapter and el84 in a head.
    I used yellow jackets in one of my combo's and it was a decent sounding mod..

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I have one of these amps. I ran EL34 tubes for years, but I don't think EL84 tubes would be a good idea.

I have a very cool mod for channel 2 if you're into lots of distortion.

4. myles loud

mr.C....my concert is a 4x10" combo. i think there is enough clearence.

donny j ....i read about your mods sounds interesting. chnl.2 could use alittle help, but i'm interested in running the el84's with the yellow jackets or another brand.
    as i'm seeing it , there are yellows for 6L6 to EL84 conversion, and they make the amp perform like clkass A.
    if the amp will be really noisy with yellows i won't like it.
    i dig the amp as is now, i just am curious about the EL84's.
    myles

5. doc

doc Member

Hi Myles-
    I have one of these amps and like it a lot. I also have played with some yellow jackets, but not with that amp much. They should work, but YMMV. Some considerations include that the tube and adapter combo will be hanging down and could work loose, and generally the sound will be a little thicker and rawer due to the different voice of the EL-84 but also looser and less in the bass. Some who want the "class A, EL-84" sound are really wanting a Vox, and some of that sound is preamp voicing, so you won't get a very Voxy sound, just the same sound you had with the changes I just mentioned, as well as the ability to drive your power tubes harder at lower volume (and inability to play as loud or clean). In other words don't expect a huge tonal change.
    Just my 2 cents.

6. myles loud

hey doc!!!
    i thought i might like driving the power tubes more.
    i have a couple EL34 amps, and a couple that i can switch between EL34's, 6L6's, EL84's, etc.
    using a strat,i just fired up the concert tonight with a 12" tonker in a closed back cab, and it sounds excellent, then i ran the 4 10's and it sounds excellent. the combination of the 2 sounds real good. i'm goin' back for a listen now.
    i owned a rivera fender concert with 2x10"s back in the 80's when they came out, and i giged with that amp, it was excellent!!i ran an ext. cab with 2x10" alnico blue lable fenders in it for some gigs.
    i sold it when i needed $ for back surgery. i really like the 4x10"s. i think the concert sounds great with 10"s.
    myles

7. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

My only complaint about the 4x10 Concert II is that its not as loud as I would like. I'm guessing the gaping hole in the back of the cabinet is the culprit here.

8. myles loud

hey donnyj!!
    i have an old closed back acoustic 4x10" cab with alnico's in it.
    it's sounds sweet, running both is really huge!!!
    myles

9. doc

doc Member

The first thing to try for any amp you want to be "LOUDER" is to check how sensitive your current speakers are and see if you can find something you like thats lots more sensitive to replace 'em with. Can make a BIG difference. Going from an open back to closed makes a difference too, but more in making it more directional and with more bass, not overall more output.

The changes I've made to my Concert were to clip off the small caps that block the highs on the first preamp stages and change the speaker out to a Celestion. I think I'll leave it alone from here. I've debated modding it more to resemble a Dumble, but I already have way too many unfinished projects.

10. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I hear you Doc. I'm not going to change the speakers as it sounds just fine. I just figure an amplifier of that size and weight should be frighteningly loud. :)

I left the 1n and 500p caps in on mine as I found when I removed them I couldn't hear a difference anyway. If you do the calc's you'll see they provide a 6dB reduction at 7kHz. That's pretty high for a guitar. The Presence control can easily compensate here.