Fender CS 1969 - pickups output is too low

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by katarzis, Oct 24, 2008.

1. katarzis

katarzis Member

besides changing pickups and pickups height, what can i do to fix this?
    thanks.

2. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

I noticed this too, I have a set in my SRV Strat, when I swap guitars from a Gibson to this one you can tell there's a difference in output. I dont know if there's much that can be done aside from going to another pickup in the Strat. One pro tech said to try the Duncan Quarterpounders or Joe Barden's for a real good high output Strat sound. I tried the Fender noiseless pu's, hot and regulars, didnt care for them at all. I like the sound and tone of the 69's though.

3. katarzis

katarzis Member

yeah, i love the tone too, this is why i don't want to change them... but the output... :-(.

4. madscientist

madscientist Member

why not just hit a boost pedal when you're using the '69's..this way, when you switch guitars, you can just turn off the boost and the levels will be easier to control?

5. katarzis

katarzis Member

This is what i do now...
    i use the BOR boost on with the strat but i'd prefer more output from the guitar itself.
    thanks.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Right on madscientist. That's the whole point of the 69's tho'. Low output, so you can crank the amp more. That's how the vintage strats are, weak output for tone, and the more I play, the more I appreciate the low output-ness.

You could try raising the up a bit closer to the strings, but watch out for warble, especially on the G string. You could also set up the rig for the weak pickups and work around that. When you switch to a hotter guitar, you could use something like an EQ to cut the level to balance it.

7. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

you're going from humbuckers to single coils. the output is going to be lower. that's how it works.

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

The sound of the '69s are a result of, among other things, the low output.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  9. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

You can install an onboard boost, like the Alemic Stratoblaster.
    If it were me, I'd use my Bad Bob to equalize the levels between guitars (after changing the pickups, I did not particularly like the set of AY '69 pickups I had the opportunityto use).

10. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Low output = tonal flexibility. I love low output single coils..

honestly, either a boost or getting used to adjusting amp volume are the real solutions...

11. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

If you like the basic tone of the 69s then use as good clean boost as suggested (the Bad Bob is stellar), or just change your amp settings if convenient. If you change to higher output pickups, the tone will change, too -- which may be fine for your needs. The Sd 5/2 Strat pickups and Antiquity I and II pickups are a little hotter than the 69s but still sound like a good Strat should. There are lots of others to consider as well.