Fender CS '63 pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Resonance7, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Hey all...

So I'm looking at getting a Fender Custom Shop Tele with "63 Tele Style Pickups". I did some searches but didn't really come up with much.

Can anyone describe the sound of these pickups? Just hoping they arn't a "hot" pu.

Thanks alot!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

They are not "hot" per se but they are hotter than my '52 tele pickups. More of a rockin pup.

bryan83 likes this.
  3. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Thanks. So i'm looking at my first CS Tele. I've found one that I love but I am after a low output pu.

Do you think it would be easy to trade the pu's for a cooler pu of the same CS quality?

Do I really want to rip through a new CS?

4. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Personally, I wouldn't buy an expensive guitar if I didn't like the pickups straight away. If you like the lower output maybe try a different vintage than the '63, or any CS 60s pup for that matter. If you are intent on buying the '63, you may want to keep the bridge pickup and try a lower output '50s neck pickup

5. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

If you like the guitar then you are set. You cant judge a guitar or pickup by the ohm #'s. I have had some 5.2 ohm pickups that sounded more aggressive than 7.8 ohm. The #'s dont matter all that much.

Worry about how it sounds. Not the specs of the pickups.

But if you get into the 50s vs 60s sound then you are looking at a different thing. 50s are woody and organic and raw and mid. The 60s are scooped more and twangy and more detailed in a way.

So bottom line is. Like the guitar and if you hate the pickups then swap them for a botique set and move on. We all do it anyways.

6. {Bold-as-love}

{Bold-as-love} Member

:agree

7. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Thanks guys..

Hmm, so, there is no way to buy new CS pickups if I decide the 63's are too hot? Are they really that "hot", or maybe just a tad?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  8. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Can anyone else describe these pickups?

Thanks

9. jayn

jayn Member

I had them on a '00 or '01 relic. I would describe them as a pretty normal, vintage Tele pup, maybe a touch on the bright side and scooped sounding, although that may have been more the guitar. I liked them. I tried a set of Fralin Blues Specials and went back to the stock p'ups.

10. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

What don't you like about the pickups?

11. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

I haven't played them yet. It is a guitar that's sold in another state.

I just know I want a very soft, low output pickup. Something almost "spongy"..I want a very soft attack. Far from a "texas special". I figured the lowest output p'u would be my best best. I'm looking for something dark, warm, soft, and harmonically rich.

And since I can't just go play this guitar..any more input on the 63's is much appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  12. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

The '63 CS Pickups are some of the best ones Fender has ever made, I have two guitars with them and they're both wonderful. I also own a '61 Pre-CBS Tele and the '63 pickups are closer to the pickups that came from the factory in that guitar then any other I've ever heard. Unfortunately, finding '63 pickups may take some time, they only came out in CS '63 Teles and the '62 Thin Skin Tele which is discontinued at the moment. This video give a rather decent portal of how the '63 will sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU25nuIkNPE&feature=fvwrel

13. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

I have a '63 Custom Shop Telecaster and a '67 Custom Shop Telecaster with '63 pickups and I don't find these pickups to be hot at all. I can see where someone might consider these pickups too polite. I think some of this depends on the guitar. The '63 is more of a rock/blues sound and the '67 is more Bakersfield/Country sounding.

I have an AVN '52 Thinskin Telecaster and I perceive the pickups to be more ballsy and meatier than the '63 pickups. It's my Bruce Springsteen Telecaster.

Just curious. What's a scooped woman? I have never heard of that before.

14. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

I also have a '67 CS Telecaster with the '63 pickups and I don't find these to be hot either. Is there a return policy on the guitar so that you can have the chance to return if you don't like the way the pickups sound to you?

15. SMark

SMark Member

I have a set of Custom Shop '63 Tele pickups right here. I measured the DC resistance of each and here's what I get...

6.3k - Bridge
    7.4k - Neck

As Tele bridge pups go, not hot at all.

16. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Great info...thanks everyone! It's funny, you guys are more on it than some of the guitar shops on the Fender CS dealer page :bonk

So how would you guys compare the 63's to the 67's? The 67's are a tad hotter, but not by much? Someone at Guitar Center of hollywood said he thought they switched magnet types.. Im guessing Alnico in 63 to Ceramic in 67 for the "hotter" PU?

The tele, which i've now got on layaway!, has 63's in the neck and 67's in the bridge..which could make for a nice combo...

[​IMG]

17. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

According to Fender, the CS 67 Telecaster has the same pickups as the CS 63 Telecaster.

18. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the CS '63 Tele pickups to the "pure vintage" '64 Tele pickups?

CV2975 likes this.
  19. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'd love to know this too.

CV2975 and roknfnrol like this.
  20. CV2975

CV2975 Member

Bump! 'Cuz I'm dying to get my hands on the CS '63 telecaster pickups, or whatever is the closest reasonable facsimile