• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender CS by John Suhr

a63strat

Platinum Supporting Member
Greetings!

I met John when he was assigned to build me a Strat by the Fender CS. Still, the most lightweight, vibrant Strat I have ever owned, played, or seen. Awesome guitar. #JS059.

I have gone on to buy 4 other Suhrs.

My Question: I don't think I've ever seen a Fender CS John Suhr for sale..anywhere. I'm guessing that they are so good, that the owners will never sell.. Have you ever seen one for sale?

Regards,

Doug

a63strat

Yes, but in fairness, the first Suhr was a Classic T with a fatter neck, hence the greater weight.

Then there was one of his first carve top Standards with full binding, so again, a bit heavier.

Then, I bought a Classic T with a fat, maple neck, so about the same weight.

Finally, I bought a Standard with my favorite finish (Black Cherry Metallic) on the secondary market.

All...fantastic guitars...just the Fender CS is my favorite.

Regards,

Doug

BluesyCat

Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine
Greetings!

I met John when he was assigned to build me a Strat by the Fender CS. Still, the most lightweight, vibrant Strat I have ever owned, played, or seen. Awesome guitar. #JS059.

I have gone on to buy 4 other Suhrs.

My Question: I don't think I've ever seen a Fender CS John Suhr for sale..anywhere. I'm guessing that they are so good, that the owners will never sell.. Have you ever seen one for sale?

Regards,

Doug
Yep. Mine. Sold 2 of them a few years ago...just not quite right. One was a custom order and the other was purchased from a web retailer.

a63strat

Yes, the Black Cherry is a Classic...not a Standard as I originally posted. I bought a different pickguard, and black knobs, etc. from Suhr.

a63strat

Yep. Mine. Sold 2 of them a few years ago...just not quite right. One was a custom order and the other was purchased from a web retailer.
Was there a high demand for them, given that, too some, John is one of the better know CS masterbuilders?

Regards,

Doug

Husky

I probably made less than 80 CS Fender guitars. Funny thing is many people think I made other guitars while there like the contemporary or carve tops. The ONLY guitars I made while at Fender had my Master Built logo with a signature on the back of the headstock. Many of them were for artists. Also hands were pretty much tied.... parts, wood, materials and process were pretty much a given, we didn't have very much control. I spent more time doing things like bass preamps,pickups, paint R&D and custom 6 string basses and Claptons amps etc than building customers guitars. So I think guitars I made that made it to stores would be pretty scarce.

okbutjustonce

I probably made less than 80 CS Fender guitars. Funny thing is many people think I made other guitars while there like the contemporary or carve tops. The ONLY guitars I made while at Fender had my Master Built logo with a signature on the back of the headstock. Many of them were for artists. Also hands were pretty much tied.... parts, wood, materials and process were pretty much a given, we didn't have very much control. I spent more time doing things like bass preamps,pickups, paint R&D and custom 6 string basses and Claptons amps etc than building customers guitars. So I think guitars I made that made it to stores would be pretty scarce.
This is a loaded question, but how would you rate your current lineup against the stuff you made for Fender? What's better about it?

Cheers!

Texas_Blues

I'd venture to say since he has more control over the woods, electronics and everything else that his current lineup would be better.

BluesyCat

Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine
Was there a high demand for them, given that, too some, John is one of the better know CS masterbuilders?

Regards,

Doug
Not so sure but...they sold within a week. I can't remember where I sold them. I know one palce was Dave's Guitar Shop in WI. But the other I cannot remember where I sold/traded.

Yes, he is one of the better builders for sure.

telesquire

There was a blonde Masterbuilt JS Strat on ebay a couple of years back.I'll search out the jpeg in my files.

Felipe

I own a few MB Fenders (English Strat, Krause Tele a and Fessler Strat) and a bunch of Suhr guitars.

The MBs are the best stuff Fender makes today. But no matter how high is the customization, we are still talking Fender here.

The Suhr, to me, are the best bolt on guitars out there. They are just perfect in every aspect. Some might not like this "too polished, too perfect" feel of these guitars. I like them exactly because of this, they are simply perfect, no issues, nothing wrong or out of place.
John put a lot of effort on the process of manufacturing these instruments. And this really shows on the quality of the products.

Husky

This is a loaded question, but how would you rate your current lineup against the stuff you made for Fender? What's better about it?

Cheers!
I'm not told what to use, I pick the wood, manufacturing process, every little detail about the guitar and it's construction. I am the red tape here. Obviously if I was happy with what I was making then I would have never left. It was never about the money but happiness and being proud of what I was making. :cool:

trap

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not told what to use, I pick the wood, manufacturing process, every little detail about the guitar and it's construction. I am the red tape here. Obviously if I was happy with what I was making then I would have never left. It was never about the money but happiness and being proud of what I was making. :cool:
and i for one thank you ,john, for leaving! my pro series s1 is the best strat i've ever played.

Trending Topics