Fender CS Danny Gatton Model

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fender23, May 1, 2008.

1. fender23

fender23 Member

Anybody got one of these, or played one? Curious as to what the Bardens sound like. Ever come across any clips of such a guitar being demo'ed that you can share?

Often thought about tracking one of these down, or perhaps a Tele Jr with the cool neck pup, but all those I've ever seen for sale were pretty dearly priced. 'Spose its a supply and demand thing.

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

BIG neck, Bardens are very clean & hi-fi sounding, they will amplify everything so if your technique is not good, maybe not for you. I like 'em. I owned one for a few yrs and enjoyed it though I can't say I regret letting it go at a good price. I think prices have crept up to/near/past what I think they're "worth" purely as instruments but the good ones are very good (IMO).

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

I played a couple of them not long after they first came out. I thought they were really nice guitars but I'm not keen on the Bardens. You can always change the pickups of course... basically they were about the same quality as the first relic nocasters, some of the best Fender custom shop stuff ever IMO.

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Jon C got it right,an unforgiving guitar.Extremely toneful and spanky.

5. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

If you do a search on You Tube for Johnny Hiland looking speicifically for clips of him playing his old gold, sparkle tele before he had his PRS signature model. That tele was loaded with Bardens, which will give you a good sense of the sound.

6. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

7. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I betcha Bill Lawrence gave them a much better deal! I hope to get a chance to play Danny's original some day - I know his daughter and she has a bunch of his stuff, including the beat-up, original DG Tele. I had Bardens in one of my Teles for a while, and I'll say they are LOUD and CLEAR - very accurate, sensitive pickups - in that Tele they were too bright, but to be fair, I went through several sets before I found one that sounded good in that particular guitar.

8. oscar100

oscar100 Member

fancy one myself :eek:

9. fender23

fender23 Member

Thanks everyone who chimed in, lots of helpful info here as usual. Sounds like the concensus is buyer beware at my level of playing accomplishment.

10. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

The Bardens were too over the top bright for me. With a compression pedal and the highs on my amp next to nothing, they were tolerable.
    But, I'm more of a Broadcaster Tele sound kind of guy.

11. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I had one of the early ones for a few years. Nice teles, probably biggest tele neck made by Fender. Pretty easy to roll your own version for a lot less money though....

As for Bardens, it depends on the user and the guitar. Their range of dynamics and tone is remarkable, but they can be dangerous in the wrong hands.;) Danny tended to like a bright setup, but IMHO guys like Arlen Roth and Bill Kirchen get the most out of them and really show what they can do. Also, if you've seen Springsteen anytime in the last few years, most of his guitars are set up with Bardens.

12. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

13. fender23

fender23 Member

Wow, now I know. Thanks for the clips!!

14. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Forget the guitar, someone bring Danny Gatton back....

15. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i had a gatton and it was a cool guitar but i never really liked the thickness of the neck and i sold it.

16. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

If you want to hear the full range of Bardens in one song, find a copy of Bill Kirchen doing his Hot Rod Lincoln medley. That covers everything.:D

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

When I played a Gatton about 6 years ago my first thought was P-90's.
    Afterwards I put some Bardens in a CS STrat and found they can be adjusted for a very wider rane of responses.

Loved the neck!!!!

18. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

i used a gatton tele on a record, the bardens were less noisy than my PAF-equipped gibsons. they also sounded amazing!

that guitar was super sweet, one of the early ones. huge neck, although i didn't care for the zircon side markers, they aren't flush (maybe that would be helpful on dark stages, but i've heard of them falling out too).

i installed a barden in an esquire i had...great pickup, can be versatile based on pickup height, not always so cutting.