1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender CS Fat 50's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SlinkyMan, Sep 18, 2005.

1. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Sorry about the Fender CS pickup Threads... it's just that living in Australia is always a hit an miss when it comes to pickups, and the Fender pups seem like a steal.

So what do people think of these pickups (Fender CS Fat 50's)? I need something in the middle and neck positions that is warm, yet punchy, somewhat 'in your face'. I'm looking for a SRV sort of sound I guess... quack, and punch, but not muddy or anything. Tight bass. :p .

Any help, advice, suggestions is very welcome,

Cheers, Matt :)

2. Blue Finger

Blue Finger Member

The CS Fat 50's are some nice pickups. The bridge PU isn't my favorite, but for the sounds your describing the neck and middle pu's will get you right where you want to be. I have a CS Strat loaded with a set of them that I use for my back-up guitar. I can get a dead on "Lenny" sound with the neck PU and my Vibro-King.

3. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Cheers! Anybody else use these pickups?

4. alderbody

alderbody Member

You can listen to many CS Fender and other pickups here.

great database...

enjoy! ;)

5. alderbody

alderbody Member

btw, if you want Super Strat tone wait a bit till Jim Wagner puts his SR pickups back to production!... (but you'll be needing new pots for them...)

6. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I've had 2 different CS 58 reissues, stock with fat 50's. I loved the tone of these guitars, including the bridge. Way nicer than Texas Specials. I sold the guitars, as the vintage frets, and radius didn't work for me. Found a magic Callaham maple neck to replace them. These picups are under appreciated, I feel.

7. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks Alderbody for that site, it really helped :)

8. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Anybody else have anything to say about these pickups?

9. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

The Fat '50's are great...I've had no issues with the bridge pickup but I do raise it a bit higher than the others. I'm a Strataholic...I've got 3 '62 reissues, an EJ, a Grosh and a Am Std. I recently had all of them tweaked by an old friend who just got back into the business. Here's something interesting......all of these Strats have nice pickups in them Fralins, Fender CS, etc. and all of the guitars sound good. This guy had not worked on my stuff for probably 8 years or so so he was being totally objective when he made comments on the various guitars.

Which pickups did he like the best? Oddly enough, he said that my '89 62 Reissue with Texas Specials sounded the best of all the guitars.....he didn't know which pickups were which...he just played each guitar. This guy is recognized as a guru in my neck of the woods...so that was interesting that he chose that guitar.

Makes me recall....when the Texas Specials came out...people really dug them. They get a bad rap these days for some reason but my set sounds really good. Use YOUR ears and don't hung up on opinions.....including mine!

10. drift_boat

drift_boat Member