Fender CS Strat weight

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Butch1970, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Butch1970

Butch1970 Supporting Member

Hey Guys -

Looking at a CS 69 Strat online as there's none available locally. This one is weighing in at 7lbs 13oz. Just wondering where that falls for the typical CS stuff?

I've got an AVRI '62 that weighs 8 lbs 2oz and it's always seemed just a bit heavier than I would like and perhaps not as resonant as some others that I've tired out.

I'm thinking that since I can't try before I by, it might be best to play it safe and look for one that weighs more in the low to mid 7's.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. Ogre

Ogre Member

Play it first. Buying unheard is a fools' errand. Weight also has very little to do with tone.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That ain't too bad. 7.5 lbs. is a good ballpark for me to shoot for. So that's not too far off. wouldn't mind that. I tend to gravitate towards the ones with a little more meat to the tone, and often it ends up being a tad more weight. But that's never written in stone. I've looked for a long time, and wanted a real light one, but never could find one that I liked the sound of.

4. omfg51

omfg51 Member

This, or establish a return policy with the seller, it at all possible. Most of the time, any kind of return policy is too inconvenient for a private seller.

5. Butch1970

Agreed on the importance of dealing with an online shop that has a liberal return policy.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A weight between 7 and 8 lbs. for that strat is ideal. Don't over think that part. As others said, it's really about how that particular guitar sounds.

7. Butch1970

Well, you see, there's actually two that I'm scoping from different dealers. One is a bit lighter......one is a different color..... neither is located anywhere near me and it's very unlikely that I would find one hanging on a shelf anywhere in CT.

If I was just looking for, say, an American Standard I could hit a number of places, but once you start looking for something more specialized you either have to special order it (which means you're stuck with it if you don't like it) or order from one of the better online shops that stock the CS line and will let you return it if you don't dig it for some reason.

Obviously, there's no substitute for having one in your hands to try before you buy and if I could find one locally, I wouldn't need to bother the TGP brethren with my query :D

Thanks, Guys.