Fender CS Tele Pickups vs the Boutiques

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Just wondering if any of you have swapped out your set of CS tele pickups for pickups made by Lollar, Fralin, etc. and if that switch made a big difference. I have a 67 CS tele (the firemist silver one) with Vintage '63 Tele Single-Coil Pickups and thinking about swapping them out for an improvement, although I'm thinking it sounds pretty good as is (just bored I guess). Thanks!!

Polynitro

you may experience a lateral change. Ive got Fred Stuart pickups and hes a 'boutique' winder that used to wind for Fender CS. Ive also got a set of Novaks and he winds for Fender CS one-offs.

But, IMO some of the best Tele pickups are CS Nocasters.

jthomps123

Silver Supporting Member
Funny, I just started another thread on what after-market clones of CS 63 pickups there are. My NOS 63 Tele is the best sounding guitar I have - and I want my incredible playing ASAT to sound like it!

If you replace your 63's let me know if you want to sell them! :)

briankp7

Gold Supporting Member
I replaced my 52 Ri tele pups with Lollar 52's and it was a major upgrade...That being said, my 52 Ri is just an American Vintage RI not a Custom Shop. The Nocaster pickups are great. I had a Custom Shop Tele and put Lindy Fralins in it. It sounded great but the Fralins were a bit too hot for my taste! I want to try some Don Mare pickups next. I hear great things about his pickups!

Polynitro

my favorite pickups right now are Rumpelstiltkin 1950 Black Rope hot set...They scream with OD, very ballsy Broadcaster sounds.

SMark

You can always upgrade your Fender pickups with Fender pickups, such as Abigail Ybarra handwound '63 Tele pups or even an Abby Handwound Nocaster set.

cholly

Just replaced a set of Nocaster pickups with a Klein Broadcaster set.... Definitely a different vibe to the B'caster, where the bridge is about 10k, compared to 7.2k on the Nocaster. Depends what you're looking for, the Broadcasters are big and raw, but still twang with a little help from the volume knob. Neck is smooth and rings like a piano (8k or so).

I put Kleins in all my gear, the best I've found so far. Pretty sure he'll wind something to your needs, turnaround time is pretty fast too, always had mine in a few days.

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks everybody for your responses. I had practice today, and the 63s sounded pretty darn good - not going to replace them ... another bout of GAS relieved. Phew! Thanks!

jimmyj

I replaced the CS bridge pickup in my Thinskin'55 Tele with a Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup. The stock was an excellent pickup, the specs say CS and some claim it's the Nocaster (the DC resistance does match) but that JD pickup is my all time favorite tele pickup. In that particular guitar it just has more character, IMO.
Also, it can be wired rw/rp with the stock neck pickup by switching the little ground wire on the bottom of the pickup and then using the black lead for hot and the white lead for ground.

stratus

Gold Supporting Member
you may experience a lateral change. Ive got Fred Stuart pickups and hes a 'boutique' winder that used to wind for Fender CS. Ive also got a set of Novaks and he winds for Fender CS one-offs.

But, IMO some of the best Tele pickups are CS Nocasters.
Got the NC's stock in my Big Tex 63 Tele. Awesome sounding pupu's. wouldn't change a thing, IMHO.:BluesBros

Trending Topics