Fender CS "The Black One" John Mayer model

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AustinIsPresent, Feb 25, 2009.

1. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

Hey hey,

Wondering if anybody saw the update on Mayer's page regarding a CS version of his black relic strat being produced. There'll be a limited run of 83 of the cream of the crop, 100% every last detail accurate reproductions, and then, as he said, a more accessible (see: less expensive) version made as well. Thoughts? Let's keep the Mayer brawls to a minimum!:horse

2. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

Wow! That's cool news. I love that strat. It'll be interesting to see what the sticker is on those.

3. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

5. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

I remember reading somewhere that "the black one" was built by John Cruz exactly to the specs of the SRV #1 tribute only painted black so he would use it on stage. Anyone else hear that? I'm a big SRV fan and always wanted a replica but not at the 10k list or 20-25k on the used market. If so, I'm curious what the MB's will go for?

6. JS335

JS335 Member

That's pretty cool. In know Tomo played the black one. i guess it's pretty amazing.

7. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

$6,000 dollars for a Mayer Relic :huh

I could get two Thorns for that much and they would both be better guitars :rotflmao

8. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

With the price of Masterbuilts already getting up over 6k and the fact he wants it limited to 83...which will probably change, I can't see it being under 10k. Look at the prices of all the previous masterbuilt signatures. I will be surprised if it is under 10k.

There is another thread on this guitar here:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=513320

9. Samba

Samba Member

A painstaking recreation of a reliced reissue? No JM hate coming from me, though the concept is pretty funny.

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I recently saw a Rittenhouse Black One on ebay built by luthier Abe Rivera of Rittenhouse in Miami-killer looking and he really nailed the entire vibe plus fitted with Lollars. Around $1500.00. I want to get one soon.

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Link to pics?

12. Joe Perry

Thanks, I didn't see that one. Someone there also mentioned that it was a black SRV tribute. If so, I could sort of see Fender or John not mentioning it.

13. todd richman

I would go to Rittenhouse's website and ask Abe to send you some. The last one went on ebay for less than $1500 but is no longer viewable even with advanced search. It looked really good. The underlying bare wood had a dark, dirty appearance to mimic sweat, etc seeping into the wood-similar to the Rory Gallagher look. The black nitro finish was done to replicate exactly the wear on Jon's Black One.

14. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

They key to this guitar "Black One" as I shall call it is the pups...whatever low output pups Cruiz and Mayer masterminded are a huge factor in the signature tone of that guitar. I heard it in numberous concerts, videos and it has "that" unique tone that responds well to stellar, deep cleans or sweet overdrive.

We shall see what happens.

fwiw - the number 83 for the Master Built line is from JM's song "83" from the Room For Squares album

15. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I hope the two aren't polar opposites to where the 83 MB Strats are >$10k and the 'guitar for the masses' is a Road Worn MIM version of the JM Sig...I don't think that will be the case. If it were the Mayer style in the Rory Gallagher type price range I will be all over it.

16. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Thanks for the heads up. I won't be looking for one of the first 83, but the production version I will go for.

17. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I'd think the "Black One" for the masses will be a Road Worn model to keep the price within reach of his younger fans (which I think is great). But what do I know...I would think the guitar's release will be scheduled around the next Mayer CD (hoping it's a JM3 release).

[​IMG]

18. Joe Perry

I'd also like to see something in the Rory G league but I think you're right it's going to be a MB or a RW - probably with a thin neck. ;^(

19. C.SCAN3

C.SCAN3 Member

What kind of guitar cable is that?

20. todd richman