Fender CS vs. Suhr vs. Tyler vs. Tom Anderson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sameh, May 24, 2011.

1. sameh

sameh Member

Do you guys feel that they are all at the same level?

2. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ Member

Yes, I do. They're all superb instruments, you just have to pick which one you like the best, or the one you want to be "associated" with ;)

dansworld likes this.
  3. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Anderson and Suhr are
    Not Fender

The reason I say this is because Fender in my opinion builds a model of guitar that is exactly like the 1950 design

Anderson and Suhr have put sone serious R&D in their guitars

Anderson and Suhr also will provide better wood grade and craftsmanship as far as all I have seen

Does it mean they will sound better ?
    Not really because that is so subjective

But I think the design and craftmanship is much better from the guitars I have seen and played

derekd likes this.
  4. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ Member

I have to add that I'd agree on this to a certain extent. Of the 4 brands mentioned the fender CS is of least interest to me and I've not played as many of these as I have the others.

I figured I'd just nto seen enough samples of these and gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I'll also agree that the fender CS guitars, at least the ones I've played, have tended to be extremely high quality vintage reproductions as opposed to progressive classics so to speak. That might just be what UK dealers feel will sell so are prepared to stock on the shelves though.

5. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Than why are you blabbing about it?

6. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

You must not forget Vigier.

I have recently bought Expert Retro 54 and it is a fabulous guitar, modern interpretation of vintage instruments. I did not like stock pickups (DiMarzio Virtual Vintage) and changed them for Bare Knuckles Mothers Milk with zinc plating on all three pickups, which is an unusual setup.

Man... what a guitar. Probably the best playability ever and it sounds really special.

7. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ Member

I've tried several Vigiers and none of them struck me as outstanding!

8. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Agree, there is something wrong in most of them I tried.

9. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a 1988 Proto Anderson and a 73 modded strat with same setup and both unique[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

Something wrong? Perhaps the looks since Vigier do stretch Strat design but I kinda like it. I belive it is better to make big changes than the discrete ones.

Soundwise, with stock pickups it is pretty meh but these Bare Knuckles made it exceptional. Playability is better than my EBMM Albert Lee HH which I thought was impossible.

:bow

11. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Member

[​IMG]

You need all three.

ME

12. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Member

13. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Member

14. Mike Eldred

Mike Eldred Member

15. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

yes, i feel that they can all be at the same level, quality wise.

but it depends on the specific GUITAR :YinYang

i have owned three Tylers that were magnificent.

i have owned a couple of Tom Andersons that were really great too.

i have not owned a Suhr, but i have played a few and they are right up there with the other three.

i have also owned a few NICE Fender custom ship pieces like a Gene Baker '69 strat with a "roundlam" neck that KILLED.,......a Cunetto era "Nocaster" that impressed Jeff Beck so much he bought one just like it a few months later......and a VERY early 1960 blonde slab board custom shop strat that felt and sounded as good as some REAL 1960 strats i have played.

it all comes down to the INDIVIDUAL guitars you are playing.

16. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

Now Mike, that is not fair. Each time someone questions or compares Fender CS you pull out THOSE photos.

I mean... play nice here ;)

17. smurfcaster

smurfcaster Member

Know I am wakening this thread from the dead but wanted to share my opinion.

Currently owning a Tom Anderson Hollow Classic I have owned a Suhr S3, Fender Custom Shop 1956 Heavy Relic and played a Tyler Studio Elite.

The Anderson is equipped with a 50's V neck and SSH configuration, the latter can be split for single coil use. It is by far the most perfect I ever got to play, extremely balanced and top notch build quality. It is like a glove that fitted from the very first second and plays like a sharp knife.

The Tyler is the same level. You put in your hand and realize just feels right. Also SSH equipped the humbucker could not be split which I think is a disadvantage in terms flexibility. Nevertheless, Tyler besides Anderson is the only brand I would drop that amount of money on. One thing I found extremely cool was the wild painting.

Suhr builds extremely nice guitar. Again, the S3 was SSH with a non-split humbucker in the bridge. The reasons why I sold the guitar after a short time that I always slipped with the low E string off the neck. But the Suhr ML pickups in it were some of the best I ever heard.

The Fender CS was lovely reliced and fun to play with. Equipped with the biggest neck I ever touched, I especially liked the brighter and clear Custom pickups. In terms of playability or feel it is way behind the others. I somehow felt this could be a 500 Dollar strat as well and nobody would tell the difference.

Thanks for reading my subjective comparison.

18. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I've owned Fender Master Builds, Suhrs and Andersons.
    The Fender Master Build and the Suhrs are imho, higher up the food chain the andersons, but Tylers have been well thought of and are not inexpensive.
    Of the four listed, I play Vigier now and would not go back, except maybe for Suhr.

19. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I agree.

I have played or owned all but the Tyler, so I can't speak to it. I found Suhr and Anderson to be a notch higher than Fender CS. As stated above, subjective.

Many people will have a tough time getting past headstock/brand bias.

20. texstrat

texstrat Member

If one is after the classic strat design, no company builds a better one than FCS. Their quality is impeccable. I'm a traditionalists when it come to most things in life, including guitars, and Custom Shop Fenders suit me very well.

pressure and Ahsu7 like this.