Fender CS vs. Suhr vs. Tyler vs. Tom Anderson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sameh, May 24, 2011.

1. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

My 60+ year old instructor, who is formally trained and has been playing his whole life, uses a Tom Anderson. It sounds really great through his twin. FWIW, he prefers my Danocaster S. YMMV

corbeano likes this.
  2. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Suhr T-style, almost bought an Anderson when I got the Suhr. I'd say they are equivalent in terms of quality craftsmanship. I just like the neck shape better on the Suhr.

I have tried a number of Fender CS Teles. Little things bug me about them - one had the high E too close to the fretboard edge, several had the plastic switch tip fall off the second I moved it. Just little stuff but for so much money yourd think this stuff would be right.

Still, the last two CS Teles I played had great tone with a P90 neck and broadcaster bridge. Can't get that sound out of my head. I'd love to have one.

Last comment, both LSL and K-Line were as good as the Fenders - vintage sounding, but really good quality and playability and a lot less money.

3. Ahsu7

Ahsu7 Member

I've owned them all, and I dont think a lot of the responses are comparing apples to apples here. Are we comparing Fender Custom Shop Relics to Suhr Antique Classics, or are we comparing them to Moderns, Classic Pro's, etc.???

In terms of overall average build quality, I think they are all pretty similar, and definitely on the same "level" - if we take the Classic designs from Suhr, Tom Anderson, Tyler and compare it to a NOS Fender Custom Shop.

Fender is a custom shop, and it does have the ability to make comparable, modern guitars with flame maple tops, etc. that would also be on the same level as a TA Drop Top or a Suhr Modern, but they arent as common.

I do agree Tom Anderson and Suhr are extremely similar. Many of the models look very similar (Drop Top vs. Modern).

macmax77 likes this.
  4. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

All I can say is that I have owned multiple boutique guitars and my 2015 Fender Custom Shop Tele is better than all of them (much to my surprise, I might add).

pressure likes this.
  5. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

The fender CS I played this past weekend was as good as any guitar I've ever played, better than most...too bad it was heavy relic'd - although, the relic thing has grown on me and I sort of like the look. It was a Nocaster and the neck was as good as it gets.

pressure likes this.
  6. fenderiarhs

fenderiarhs Member

Let's be serious. R& D? You either do not know what R&D is, or you're a proprietary of one of these brands and you believe all the nonsense their creators babble over the internet. Both Andersons and Suhrs might be guitars of the uttermost quality, or whatever, but fact remains that they 're just copies of a design that is 60years old. No R & D at all.

C-4 likes this.
  7. Not Through Yet

Not Through Yet Member

I get what you're saying, but 'none at all' is a bit of an exagerration. There's some very real design differences between a 54 Strat and an Anderson droptop or Suhr Modern.

The Fender CS reissues are the top quality versions of 60-year old designs.

8. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I played several CS Fenders, Andersons, and Suhrs on my hunt for a high end guitar. I almost went with a killer Anderson Drop T but then got my hands on a couple Suhr Classic Ts that just smoked. But both of them made the 3 CS Fenders I played feel like toys in terms of neck feel, balance, fretwork, etc. the Suhrs and Andersons just felt like better crafted instruments to me than the Fenders, even the $3800 CS tele I played.

Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  9. shane8

shane8 Member

any one could produce an outstanding guitar that floats your boat

now go play a few dozen & get back to us

:waiting

10. Defendant

Defendant Member

The Suhrs and Tylers I've played have been excellent, as have the Andersons. I've also played some killer Fender CS instruments. For the authentic strat or tele sound I'd probably choose Fender.

However out of all those the best guitar I've played was an Anderson Cobra. Up there with vintage stuff, Yarons etc.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

The old cliche...I buy the guitar that speaks to me the most...to hell with brands...

I've owned and played Fender and Suhr strats none of which I still have...if that means anything??? :dunno

Suhr was just the most comfortable and best playing strat I have ever owned...no dead spots...I could really fly on it and it was perfectly balanced...I knew what I was getting each time I plugged in...I have played several and they are very consistent instruments...

Fenders are much less consistent and they range from crap to legendary and price is not a factor...I have played some stellar...cheaply Made in Mexico/Japan strats that were great as well as over 7K Masterbuilt strats that were crap and everything in between...they are no where near as playable as the Suhr's and I often have to fight with them...

There are words that crop up here on TGP which are used to describe the differences between vintage instruments and modern...like air...sterile...compressed...vintage sound etc...I'm not really sure what they mean???

I've played a 63 and 65 strat as well as some from the 70s and there is no guarantee that I will like those better than what's available today...after that experience I still can't tell you what a vintage strat sounds like as they were all different...I loved the 65 through a 67 Marshall Superlead and 30 year old greenbacks but I think any guitar would have sounded great through that amp....

Currently I have a partcaster that I assembled from a Warmth body and parts I had laying around...it is a good guitar but not great...it satisfies my strat cravings as it is no longer my goto guitar...
    The only strat that I am jonsing for these days is an SVL strat...

12. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Yep. Fender simply does not offer modern evolutionary design updates such as 2 point trems with adjustable trem arm tension, stainless steel frets, vintage style single-truss rod adjustable at headstock, etc. Fender is clearly catering to traditionalists and purists with the majority of their CS offerings. Nothing wrong with that but it does open up some niche markets for....'boutique' competitors.

Choice is good.

13. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

I sold my '58 strat and bought a Suhr ('01). it is a
    Far better instrument in every way, except maybe in the mojo factor.

These guys all make great guitars, I have played amazing examples from each shop. But, I have alao played duds.

Always buy used, plan on going through a few to find a keeper, and most likely you will.

Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  14. fenderiarhs

fenderiarhs Member

For sure, but not to an extent that could justify the use of the words R & D. What i 'm saying is to just use the correct terms for everything.

15. dazco

dazco Member

To me, if you are after the truest fender tone and dynamics i feel fender is the way to go. Not because they say fender on the head and not because i have some sort of bias, but guys like Anderson and suhr generally never stick 100% to the original recipe, and all it takes is a tiny detail like the alloy used for the mounting screws on a strat trem or some suck thing to throw it off enough that something isn't quite authentic sounding. Yes, that will bring flames but i have swapped out parts ad nausium for years and I've seen it. Those guys never stick to the original recipe near as close as fender even tho it may seem so. things you can't see can make a difference. I'm not saying they are worse or better, just not exactly the same. I stopped buying anything but fender if i want fender design long ago because of this and i am never disappointed. If the original recipe can vary for you and you don't mind, then something like Anderson may be your guitar. But nothing will change my mind on this....if you want fender tone and you are anal about it, get a fender.

16. mikebat

mikebat Member

....are you being sarcastic? Sorry if my gauge is off

17. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

Not at all. Show me a production CS Fender model with those features (which would be a good thing, IMO).

18. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Flip a coin, play what you like. Some are better than others.