Sold Fender Custom Shop '52 Esquire NOS **$ DROP**

Discussion in 'Guitar Emporium Archive' started by SuhrLikesALot, May 18, 2015.

1. SuhrLikesALot

SuhrLikesALot Supporting Member

I recently bought this guitar. Best Tele I have ever owned. So, why am I selling so quickly? As Murphy's Law would have it, shortly after acquiring this guitar, my 'dream guitar' became available and I couldn't pass it up. So, this one must go. While I am new here, I have done many successful transactions on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum; umgf.org; user name 'Martinenvy'), the Collings Forum (collingsforum.com) and Acoustic Guitar Forum (acousticguitarforum.com). Username at the latter two: Dreaded Picker.

Price for TGP members is $2400 NOW $2200 + $60 shipping

Only trade I might be interested in is for a Suhr SL-67, Friedman SmallBox or Dirty Shirley head.

View attachment 509

View attachment 511

View attachment 510

View attachment 516

View attachment 515

View attachment 514

View attachment 513

View attachment 508

View attachment 517

View attachment 512

Here is the description provided by the original owner (from whom I bought the guitar):

2010 Fender Custom Shop '52 Esquire. This is from a Limited Run commissioned by Dave's Guitar Shop in Lacrosse, Wisconsin. It's basically a 1952 Esquire version of a Nocaster. It has the big round neck, plus 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets. Since there is no neck pickup, there is no magnetic drag on the strings, allowing it to ring much more. Stock wiring is: 1. bridge pickup with the tone control out of the circuit, 2. bridge pickup with tone control and 3. bridge pickup with capacitor for a very dark tone. Fender Custom Shop Esquires do have the neck pickup route underneath the pickguard, so you can also easily turn it into a regular Tele, should you ever wish to do so). If you love vintage Teles but want a little more modern playability, this is the guitar for you.

Dave ordered these NOS ("New Old Stock" - no fake wear), but with the darker necks like the Relics and with a "Thin-Skin", all nitro lacquer finish, so it will "relic" naturally. It already looks more like a Closet Classic. I haven't tried to baby it, but I'm fairly gentle with my axes. Any fretwear is very mild - lots of life left in them. There's a (typical) weather check that measures about 1/4" at the neck pocket and where I pick is darkened between the pickguard and the control plate (might rub out, but I haven't tried, as I like the aged look), scratches on the pickguard and a few other mild scuffs, but nothing serious. Again, these guitars are made to wear quickly so they will start looking vintage.

This guitar sounds simply amazing! Even acoustically, it rings like a bell. You can "knock" on the back of the neck and feel the thing resonate like crazy and hear the big, loud "thunk" - tone transference from the neck through the body. When you strum it acoustically, there's lots of vibration in the body and the neck; it's a very lively guitar. I've played this guitar for country, blues, classic rock and R&B; it sounds rich and articulate when played clean and gets really fat and aggressive when overdriven. It works well with any pedal and amp combination I have ever thrown at it. It's one of the best guitars I have ever played. It's rock solid and I've never even had to adjust the truss rod (probably thanks to the big chunky neck). The set up is perfect - nice low action without fretting out. It came from the factory with 10-46 strings and that's what I still use.

I am the original owner, so there are no issues, stories or mods with this guitar; you can be confident you are buying a 100% original genuine Fender Custom Shop guitar. I had Laun (Dave's right-hand man) go through and play all the (new) ash blonde/maple Teles, Nocasters and Esquires they had in stock at the time and pick the very best one. The waterfall grain pattern of the ash body looks amazing in person; it's more bold than in the pictures. The nitro Butterscotch Blonde finish is so thin that the lacquer is sunken into the gran. It came like that from the factory ("Thin-Skin") and I couldn't quite capture the beauty of it with my digital camera. If I remember correctly, Dave's had the weight listed as 7.25 lbs. and the balance feels perfect for a Tele. It comes with original center-pocket tweed G&G case, COA, case candy, hang tags, paperwork.

New ones like this sell for between $3360-$3839 (those with the 'Thin Skin' option are nearer the higher end of this scale).

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. Jawsjr2

Jawsjr2 Supporting Member

Would you say it's got a baseballl bat neck or just a thick neck?

3. SuhrLikesALot

I would say definitely not a baseball bat, just on the thicker side. For reference, I don't have big hands (I wear a Medium-Large golf glove), but I find this neck perfect. It is U-shaped, so it doesn't have thick "shoulders" which usually inhibit thumb wraps for me. I can do them on this guitar with no problems.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers.

Mark

4. Claytone

Claytone Member

Yours is a beautiful Esquire. Would you consider a trade? I have a unique one-off Rocket Tone handmade by Fred Stuart of the Fender Custom Shop. It is for sale here on the Emporium. I don't know how to upload a photo but if you look for "Fred Stuart" on search you will find it. Thanks, Clay

5. SuhrLikesALot

Clay,

Sorry, not interested in trades for other guitars. Now, if you have a lower-wattage plexi-style head, I might be interested in discussing a trade plus cash (on your end) deal.

Thanks for your interest. This really is a beautiful guitar (in looks and tone).

Mark