Fender Custom Shop '54 and '69 pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by EdMan57, Feb 18, 2009.

1. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Can some of you please give me the inside scoop on both the Fender Custom Shop Vintage '54 and '69 sets?I know that both are re-issues of sort of the classic Fender Strat pickup from two different eras.The main and more nuanced differences between the two?Compare and contrast,if you will.

Right now,I'm leaning towards a CS Vintage '54 set for '06 American Series Strat,as I had a set in a mid '90's Strat that I still remember with great fondness.Acoustically,my '06 Strat is quite resonant and and gives up good natural sustain.It features an alder body and has a rosewood board.Plus,it's also fairly light in weight at just over 7 lbs.Btw,I'm set on one or the other,as a good friend has either set for sale for a very good price.All opinions are welcome.

Ed

2. markj

markj Member

I've got a set of '69s in my MIA strat. I love the sound of these over the stock pups and a set of hot gold lace sensors I tried. They don't have the reverse wound middle so there's no hum cancelling in any position. They do nice chimey cleans and they sound wonderful with a little or a lot of dirt added in. I haven't tried the '54s but I have a '57 AVRI with the stock vintage pups. And while I do really like it, it doesn't have the same growl(so to speak) that the 69's get. The '57 is a little nicer to my ears clean but a tad darker than the '69s. Could be the guitar too though.

Having said all that I've been seriously been considering noiseless like the Area pups. The 69's can get really noises and the place where we jam at has horrible lighting and wiring. The hum is really starting to get to me. At home though they're queit for the most part.

3. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I have a pair of DiMarzio Area 61's in the mid/neck positions of my Yamaha Pacifica 612v [DiMarzio Air Zone in bridge] that I am really digging.I especially like 'em with a little dirt.One thing that I have found a bit odd is that the Area 61's make less noise [I should really say no noise] than the full size bridge Air Zone.I would like to try an Area 58/58/61 set in a Strat someday.

Ed

4. markj

markj Member

That's good to hear Ed. Every sound clip I've heard for the areas sounds great. All the youtube clips etc., it definately has a stratty tone to it. While the clips I've heard of the kinmans sound nice but there is less of something there than the areas. Of course this is all super subjective when you can't hear it in your own axe.

Since I know I like the CS69s the backplate system may be the way to go. I'm just afraid I'll order the areas and feel that sort of bleh that comes from stale pups. I had that with the Lace Sensor Hot golds. Nice and quite but sort of dead sounding compared to what I've got now. They really weren't much better than the stock MIA pups IMHO.

5. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

I compared the 69s with 57/62s (not CS 54s, though)when i was comparing the Classic player 50 with the 60. The 69s blew me away, every kind of strat tone i every wanted from Buddy Holly to Buddy Guy, they were as clear when their clean as when they are dirty. The 57/62 were great too, but they didnt have the same "play me" vibe as the 69s.