Fender Custom Shop 63 Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LilSteve, Aug 12, 2006.

1. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

Whats the skinny on this?

Guitar Center is proud to announce the release of the Fender Custom Shop '63 Stratocaster — the first of the Vintage Collector Series.

Master Builder Dennis Galuzka crafted only 42 of these remarkable replicas. Each guitar is finished in a spectacular Dakota Red over three-color sunburst Relic lacquer. A rare Brazilian rosewood fingerboard completes this historically accurate masterpiece.

The '63 Stratocaster is sure to be an instant collector's item, and it's available exclusively from Guitar Center.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/vintagecollectorseries/

2. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Whoa that looks nice!! Seeing that the Mary Kay's are going for $5,000 I'm guessing that 63 will be in the same range.

3. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

I was off a bit: $5999 at Guitar Smegma. Sales dood tried hard to convince me it was a bargain because the origional sold for $80,000.

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

damn...thats pricey....

they can keep em'

5. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    :rolleyes:

At least they have the balls to name it exactly what they're trying to sell them as:

"The Vintage Collector Series" = Guitars you might like if you can't afford vintage
    :D

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

Can it give BJ's for that kind of money? Jesus..... Like the regular time-machines aren't expensive enough.

7. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Unless you are into collecting these types of things, it is obvious that you could get a nice Suhr or Tyler, that is probably made quite a bit better for way less money...even a used Custom Shop in the 2k range, this seems way pricey.

8. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

From the ad... "The original guitar is valued at $70,000. The replica will be much more affordable"

Glad they cleared that up. :rotflmao

9. Burstplayer

Burstplayer Member

I played one in Boston. Very nice, but too much at 6k.

If you want Fender, find a used relic for under $2k. My '56 was just as nice as this special 63

10. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

yeah the price of these things blows me away......You could easily buy a great neck and body from Warmoth(or some other place), have it painted/relic-ed, put in great electronics, have it set up by a pro, and slap on a fender decal for show.....and you'd still have enough money left over for a killer amp or TWO!
    I just don't see that a "Master Builder" is going to do anything to amazing when we are talking about a bolt-on strat guitar.....I could see a jazz box or acoustic, like a Goodall. Maybe someone can offer an opposite perspective?

11. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

Looks just like my 83' American Reissue Strat that I paid $675.00 for new. It is all stock and sounds like a killer vintage Strat. It's getting old enough that it's starting to look like it's vintage also.

Unless this master builder hand planed the neck and hand wound all of the pickups I don't see what the big deal is concerning this guitar. The brazilian board would be the only thing that would set it apart from any other cusom shop guitar and a brazilian board blank runs about $45.00. Maybe the Fender custom shop wants to raise funds for another CNC machine.

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The price of bolt on guitars riding on the coat tails of vintage magic is the cash cow money making machine of the decade. Some of these guitars are truly wonderful but the coinage is insane.

13. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

And why are they truly comparing it to a '63 other then the specs? Those guitars probably do sound better than an average strat because they have been played, and properly aged from playing and breaking in. I am sure they have better resonance.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Maybe Fender has caught the Gibson marketing bug.:rolleyes:

15. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

Every August GC has an Anniversary guitar. This is the 42nd anniversary so they had 42 made exclusively for them. Don't blame Fender for the price tag, that is GC corporate greed. GC even has a full page ad in the current issue of Vintage Guitar magazine. I wonder how long it will take to sell them all off? Look for them at a huge discount next year on Memorial day. Can't wait to see what they are going to price the Blackie Strats at.

16. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Yes, but many retailers have MAP pricing (Minimum advertised price) or are going off whatever the suggested list price is from Fender.

17. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

This particular model was cloned from one that GC owns so GC is DIRECTLY involved in what the price is. They can do what ever they want for pricing since it is a GC only guitar. It's their anniversary so they are exploiting that they have the only ones made. Not worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

18. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I've got a couple of Custom Shop strats...6k is crazy

19. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Exactly, regardless of where that price came from it is outrageous, IMO.

20. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

THAT is funny!!