Fender Custom Shop 69 Pickups - Opinions Please!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Troubleman, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Where do these live on the great tone continuem?
    • vs Texas Specials (output and tone)?
    • vs Lollar Blackface (output and tone)?
    • vs Fender Fat 50's (output and tone)?
    • vs Fender 57/62 (output and tone)?
    Thanks in advance!

jb

2. jgyn

jgyn Member

I think that's what's in my Fender Hendrix Tribute Stratocaster (lefty strung righty). Relatively low output and a thin hard sound, which works wonderfully with Marshalls and Hiwatts.

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

So I can't help with the comparison. I will say that the Fat50s served my needs just fine. I bought a nice blonde ash American Series Strat a few years ago that played great but was too bright. A regular on another forum recommended Fat50s which are way smoother to my ears. Didn't change the tone too much, just tamed the shrill tone of the stock pups with the ash body. Its my favorite now for more laid-back blues & surf, for the hotter stuff I've got another alder Strat with single coil sized P90s that gets the Texas grind which others who have played that guitar compare favorably to Fender's Texas Specials. I'm no help on the '69' set though.

Later, Jim

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Similar to the 57/62s, but a different flavor; more sparkle. Some people call them thin; maybe, but if so it's in a good way. Very musical. These are my favorite Strat pickups from Fender, bar none. They always sound good to me.

/rick

5. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Best sounding vintagey p/u's imho and they don't cost a fortune. People forget Fender started the whole thing (strats) and are capable of making a great sounding p/u.

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I have the custom shop 60s which came on my NOS60 strat. I do not like the pickups, so I want to change but not to something very similar. Are the 69s close? I'm getting a american vintage 70s strat. I really hope the pups on this guitar are there to stay. I'm considering putting Dimarzio Virtual 2 on the NOS. If I thought the 69s would be enough of a change I would consider them. I love tex mex. I've just about decided against Kinman as I understand they are very bright.

7. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I tried out a 69' strat the natural wood finish ones with the 69 pups in em. To me they were a little to bright for my taste.

8. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

Happen to be my favorite Fender pup's :BEER

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

+1 on too bright...not a good match for my Amer strat into a Z Carmen Ghia...maybe its a maple board thing, or that these are really thinner sounding. They did sound good with fuzzes with the tone rolled back through a marshall. They do sound pretty dead on to Hendrix's guitar tone on some recordings. Good pups- best fender value, just not for me.

10. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

Fat 50's are were it's at for me. Great sounding pickups that sound amazing for any type of music. Quite a few around these parts swear by them I believe.

11. Cthross

Cthross Member

I like 'em *(Fat 50's)*. They make the Texas Specials in my other Strat sound bad. Fat 50's are good stuff.

-Chris

12. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Member

:BEER ........my favorite Fender pick ups. They sound much better than the Texas Specials (they're also great in their own way). Rio Grande pick ups are neat too. The 69'ers are the classic Hendrix/ Trower tone down cold ! :YinYang