Fender Custom Shop Bridge Pickup?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by esq1997, Oct 18, 2008.

1. esq1997

esq1997 Member

I just found a bridge pickup with white and black cloth (wax coated)wires. The output, as measured on my multimeter, is 10.66. Did the Fender Custom Shop ever make a nocaster/broadcaster bridge pickup with a copper baseplate with such high output?

Thanks.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sure. if it has staggered poles, it's a texas tele. if it has flat poles, it's an old "nocaster" pickup. (the new ones are in the normal 7k range.)

3. esq1997

esq1997 Member

Thanks for the reply. My pickup has flat pole pieces and a copper baseplate. Did some of the the old custom shop nocaster bridge pickups have copper baseplates?

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

all custom shop tele bridge pickups, as well as all AV reissue tele pickups, have the bottom plates, which are actually copper-plated steel.

5. esq1997

esq1997 Member

Thanks for your response. The reason I ask is because all CS nocaster bridge pickups I've seen have a silver colored (zink) baseplate. I've heard, however, that some of the first ones to come out of the custom shop in the 1990s had copper colored baseplates. Also, the CS nocaster pickups I've seen have yellow and black cloth colored wires. Mine have white and black cloth colored wires.

6. vanguard

vanguard Member

if you're still wondering, the old 10k nocaster had a ZINC (silver colored) base plate. you probably have a broadcaster pickup, which is similar, but not the same.

7. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

one thing I've learned from fender is to never use the term "all"