Fender Custom Shop guitar cable...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by redgold, Feb 17, 2012.

1. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

... seems easily available at a good price... is it any good?

2. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

If the price is right, I'm sure it is just fine. Specs?

3. rico1204

rico1204 Member

I'm a Fender guy. But every "Fender" branded cable I've ever purchased has crapped out within a year of use. It's been a few years, so I can't say if it's gotten better, but I won't buy them anymore.

4. redgold

That's what I'm worried about... crappy cable with "Custom Shop" slapped on it.

Might be better off trying the lava blue demon in that price range?

5. rico1204

rico1204 Member

I've been real happy with Mogami cables these past 2 years and they have a lifetime warranty. So if one does crap out, I can just head down to GC and get it replaced no questions.

I've also learned to solder. So I've been creating my own patch cables with Mogami 2524 bulk cables and GLS pancake plugs. They sound great and it's much cheaper than the kits.

6. scolfax

scolfax Member

Interested in hearing from someone who owns one. I've been using Fulltone's and they sound good but I hate the way they lay.

7. jsams3

jsams3 Supporting Member

I'm fairly certain that they are made by whirlwind (at least mine is).
    Good brand at a fair price

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Fender cables look good... made in China. Yep, I was just at Sam Ash yesterday looked a few of them, says so right on the package. I was thinking of getting one but nah, not gonna do it.

EDIT... I am 99.9999% sure the Fender retail cables, both standard and "Custom Shop" cables that I saw on display at SA are MIC. Again, they look great!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I'm not looking to morph this into another "made in USA good/made somewhere in Asia bad" thread, but would the Fender Custom Shop cables be MIC as well? I would think they'd be USA made.

10. johnydoida

johnydoida Member

Two weeks ago I bought one of those Custom Shop Fender cables. It was the first 6-meter long Tweed like cable with an angled plug for less than 50 bucks I ever saw, so I took it home.

Nice cable! I hope it doesn't fail on me too soon. Doesn't look like it will anyway.

11. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I like the gray, skinny cables that come with vintage custom shop guitars. Would love to find out who makes them so I can outfit my modular synths with them.

12. brunsje

brunsje Member

Lava cables!!!!!!!!!!

13. redgold

OK, just got a 10 ft Fender Custom Shop cable... first off, I am very surprised by the drape of this cable... it has that light, rubbery feel kind of like a Mogami believe it or not. I was afraid it would be more like a Spectraflex braided cable, but it's not stiff at all. Mine is black, not tweed, which looks very cool with the silver accents. Sound is fine (not a fan of "hi fi" cable). Very happy with it... hope it holds up.

Lava Blue Demon is very nice too.