Fender Custom Shop HBS-1 Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by finnster, Feb 5, 2008.

1. finnster

finnster Supporting Member

I played one the other day. It was really nice. It has the S-1 switching and a humbucker in the bridge. It is reliced and made by the custom shop. Is anyone gigging one? Comments on its tone? It is hard to tell by just noodling in the music store.

thanks

[​IMG]

2. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Richie is, on tour

[​IMG]

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Sambora has added a floyd rose to his which alters the tone a bit. Stock they have the vintage bridge.

Something tells me they kick ass. That high end fender custom shop stuff is very nice.

I recently picked up a custom shop relic s1 tele...fantastic guitar. The kind of thick tele tones with bite I always dreamed about.

4. finnster

here is one I am looking at:

[​IMG]

5. finnster

Well, I bought this one today and it is AWESOME. It just screams and the neck is nice and chunky..just how I like em! Take a look: Violin Burst..not the greatest color but it was the only one locally

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Hoochie Mama, that is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwsome. That right there is my dream guitar. I built something similar out of an 06 American Series strat with a tone zone in the bridge and Fender SCN's in the middle and neck and a tortis guard. I love it.

What pickups are in there? Any special switching? Looks like S1 correct?

Simply perfect is that burst.

7. finnster

Yes Sir, S-1 switching (lots-o-variety) and these are the pickups:
    2 Custom ‘69 Single-Coil Strat® Pickups with Grey Bobbin (Neck and Middle),
    1 Seymour Duncan® SH-4 Humbucker (Bridge)

She plays like a dream.

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's cool. I like the color a lot. Love having a 22nd fret though. That's always been my thing. Love the old style necks but wished for a 22nd fret.

9. finnster

I agree about the 22 fret thing. Even though I dont use the 22 fret very often I feel lost without it. I have passed on a few nice Fenders because of this. This guitar has a nice blend of modern features and vintage vibe.

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Finnster, like Blue4now, I'm sorta doing my own thing similar to this. I've taken a Fender relic strat and just stuck a 22 fret oiled maple neck on it. I love the vintage trem/kluson setup. I was coming along fine, resisting the GAS to chase down one of these HBS-1 strats. You're not helping my GAS with these awesome pics!

I've never really messed with the s1 switching. does it give a lot of useful tones?

Is the Duncan SH4 a '59 pickup? I can never remember. Fender describes the neck as a '57 V shape. Is there any other neck you can compare it to? Is it real fat?

11. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

12. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

13. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

pjrhd28 - that guitar from The Music Zoo is what I based my copy on. 6K is quite steep.

14. finnster

The S-1 switching gives a lot of tonal options..it is really worth trying it out. The neck is fat and sorta like a American Deluxe Tele but this seems to have a bit of a taper to it. I think the other Teles are some sort of a "Modern C" I have an American Tele (standard) and its neck seems thin compared to this one.

The SH-4 is like a JB....but dont quote me on that:dude

15. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Finnster, sweet axe! I am gasing for one now!

16. Andre357

Andre357 Member

That looks awesome man, I have it's tele sister....the custom shop relic s-1. Mine is in black with a maple board. Best guitar I've ever owned... I got to post some pictures of it soon...

I've got to get the strat version now ! Was it set up with an incredibly low easy action ?? Does it seem like the wood is more toneful and resonate than other strats ?? My tele had the best set up I've ever received from a factory, and some of the most resonate wood I've ever come across...

Do you know those ( tele and strat in this series ) are custom " Team Built " at fender ?..they are are given quite a bit of attention before they leave the door.....

17. finnster

YES, it is by far the best playing Strat I have ever played, the action is very low for a strat. I have been looking at the Tele S-1 Relic too (in black I might add) please post a pic for us all to see it!

18. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

It seems odd to use a jb voiced humbucker with the maple neck. I would think about a 9k paf style offering would make more sense.

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Not at all. After all players like Warren Dimartini did all the time with great results.

Don't forget it's an ash body which can sound a little scooped, the mids from the pickup would really compliment that, I'd think. The maple neck will tighten things up. Sounds like a great formula.

20. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I think I am gassing for this one. I wonder how my Suhr would compare. I Just wish the bridge pickup was not as hot..