Fender Custom Shop J-Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by gpecoulas, Feb 25, 2012.

1. gpecoulas

gpecoulas Gold Supporting Member

Just got a Custom Shop 64' J Bass with CS vintage-style pick ups . The output of this Bass with these pups is very low compared to my other passive J Basses. These pups measure at 6.28/neck 6.45 bridge. Dos this seem low? Anyone know what's typical for a Vinage-syle J Bass? Thanks

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Member

I've tried the Custom Shop Jazz Pickups in at least one of my Jazzes, and not only were they weak in output, I found them very weak in low end. Even Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders sounded much better to me (not to suggest they're bad pickups).

3. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

The vintage reissue pups are wound to vintage specs. If you want a modern, hot pup, then vintage reissues are not for you.

4. One Drop

One Drop Member

Are they the stock PUPs that came with the bass, or actual CS aftermarket PUPS? The stock ones are the same that come with the AV reissues.

Mine have plenty of bottom, raise or lower the pickups using your ears and worry about the measurements later.

5. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

I have a Fender CS '64 Jazz bass with the stock pickups. I do not find they sound weak at all. To me, the bass sounds like what it was intended to sound like: Vintage.