Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the only good relicing comes from actual time and usage. Nels' Jazzmaster looks the way it does because he plays guitar like a rabid monkey on crack and has for years. He beats that thing to ****. That being said, I'm not a fan of Nels in the least and really don't think FMI thought they could move more units by copying his guitar. Again, just my opinion. Who knows for sure.

RayRay

So if it was a customer order... should Fender not make it because there's one that's kinda like it, even though that's what the customer wanted?

This guy Nels isn't the victim he's portraying himself to be. He's not a signed artist, and he doesn't have a signature model that represents what he's bitching about. And based on his attitude, he probably won't get one.

GA20T

The guitars in question. Yes ... I'm sure it's entirely just a coincidence and Fender wasn't in any way attempting to mimic his guitar in an effort to make money. FAKE NEWS! WITCH HUNT!

EDIT:
I will say again. It's not illegal. It's not infringement. It's just questionable ethics and an obvious use of his artistic image.
What strikes me is just how little eight large truly gets you with a shop like FCS. Looks like we could have tried just a wee bit harder here.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
It's the only one that looks like that. We can disagree about Fender's part in this, but that's obviously a copy. As others have mentioned, this isn't the first time Fender has done this.

I think he just wanted them to know that HE knew.
Again, even if it’s inspired by, do they need to get srv family permission before sticking a black guard on a strat too?

Meh. Much ado about nothing imo.

Seth L

He made what his own...the Fender Jazzmaster, issued by Fender?

The "Fender copied someone else by issuing their own guitar" argument isn't holding up.
That particular guitar. We're talking about one particular guitar. Cline reliced through years of playing.

Seth L

Again, even if it’s inspired by, do they need to get srv family permission before sticking a black guard on a strat too?

Meh. Much ado about nothing imo.
A black guard on a Strat? No, but if they reliced it to look like #1 it might get some attention. I agree about much ado over nothing. Cline had good reason for his post. Not sure about anyone else.

BadHiwatt

For a place primarily dedicated to guitars and music, I am shocked by how disparaging some of the posters are. Since joining Wilco, they’ve only sold over a million albums, had 4 albums chart in the top 15, and maintained a highly regarded jazz solo career.

I guess the difference between some of us, is that when we learn of a new-to-us musician, we don’t immediately sh1t on them, instead we listen to their work and learn. IMO, that’s the easiest way to be less ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics