Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth L

is anyone paying more for it because it looks like his? or are they just buying a relic'd jazzmaster in the most common color combo that fender ever did for jazzmasters?
Hard to say since it doesn't have his name on it.

RayRay

Gold Supporting Member
A black guard on a Strat? No, but if they reliced it to look like #1 it might get some attention. I agree about much ado over nothing. Cline had good reason for his post. Not sure about anyone else.
Actually, no. He didn't have good reason for his post.

Seth L

For a place primarily dedicated to guitars and music, I am shocked by how disparaging some of the posters are. Since joining Wilco, they’ve only sold over a million albums, had 4 albums chart in the top 15, and maintained a highly regarded jazz solo career.

I guess the difference between some of us, is that when we learn of a new-to-us musiciy, we don’t immediately sh1t on them, instead we listen to their work and learn. IMO, that’s the easiest way to be less ignorant.
Not to mention that Nels Cline is a bad ass and one of a kind.

For what it's worth they also did the same thing to Keef this year. They did the '51 w/ Gibson PU ring humbucker in the neck and Greg calls it out as the Keef guitar and the Fender guy looks at him like he'd been caught with his hand in the cookie jar and said "we didn't say that". You can see it yourself here. Any guitar player saying they don't know who Nels Cline is, therefore he should zip it and take a hike are only cheating themselves. He's a wondrous, uniquely talented player that anyone in any style could learn something from.

:13 the Nels Cline Jazzmaster
5:50 the Keef Tele (albeit the one they brought to NAMM is a burst, but "it's also available in Butterscotch)

Last edited:

RayRay

Gold Supporting Member
For a place primarily dedicated to guitars and music, I am shocked by how disparaging some of the posters are. Since joining Wilco, they’ve only sold over a million albums, had 4 albums chart in the top 15, and maintained a highly regarded jazz solo career.

I guess the difference between some of us, is that when we learn of a new-to-us musiciy, we don’t immediately sh1t on them, instead we listen to their work and learn. IMO, that’s the easiest way to be less ignorant.
Well, when a person puts something stupid on social media, it shouldn't be discussed? That's their whole point of posting it. Otherwise they'd handle it privately.

Seth L

You're the one making statements such as "we all know it's a copy of Cline's guitar" and "We all know it's a copy"...when in fact, just in this thread this was proven incorrect.
Wrong. The 2 guitars side by side is proof. I know you don't think they look at all alike, but that's kind of silly.

2HBStrat

For people who know Nels and enjoy the music he makes, that guitar is iconic. Like beyond iconic. People who are fans of his would recognize the Watt guitar (as it's known) in a split second. By copying the wear patterns of his Jazzmaster, they immediately tied it to him. You don't have to mention his name to know exactly which guitar they were creating. It is entirely their design and they have every right to do with it as they wish, but they're riding on his reputation to sell an overpriced relic and giving him zero credit. It's no different than them putting out a strat that looks identical to the SRV one or a tele that's obviously Micawber without giving credit. It's legal, but kinda scuzzy.
I didn't know Nels before Wilco...how long has he owned and played this Jazzmaster?

RayRay

Gold Supporting Member
Sure he did. Let me know when they copy yours.
If they did copy mine and I had an issue with it, I would simply make a few phone calls PRIVATELY instead of posting some passive-aggressive whiny bullcrap on social media.

EDIT: I forgot childish. some childish passive-aggressive whiny bullcrap on social media.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
In terms of what is going to drive sales and/or outrage for the Fender Custom Shop, I think this week ranks something like this:

1. David Gilmour saying that he's keeping the CS replicas of the Black Guitar and selling the original
2,447. Nels getting his feelings hurt over this one-off.

Artie Fisk

Who’s the other?

It’d be hard to nail down one or even a few guitar players that raised the notoriety of the JM well beyond the rest. The availability of cheaper vintage pieces drove demand more than any player imo.

J Mascis? He has both a Fender and Squier signature Jazzmaster.

Seth L

In terms of what is going to drive sales and/or outrage for the Fender Custom Shop, I think this week ranks something like this:

1. David Gilmour saying that he's keeping the CS replicas of the Black Guitar and selling the original
2,447. Nels getting his feelings hurt over this one-off.
Smart move on Gilmour's part. Good move on Cline's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics