Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hurtt

Silver Supporting Member
Wrong. The 2 guitars side by side is proof. I know you don't think they look at all alike, but that's kind of silly.
LOL...they don't look the same. Fender can do perfect copies when they want. That's just a reliced guitar. You can't even convince the handful of people on this thread it's a copy...let alone "everybody"...

74vibrolux

I didn't know Nels before Wilco...how long has he owned and played this Jazzmaster?
He probably got it from Watt sometime back in the mid-90s. He's really a spectacularly diverse player and I love his work with Mike Watt on Contemplating the Engine Room and Ballhog/Tugboat. Though his new Nels Cline 4 album is one of my favorite things he's done.

Seth L

Good lord, some of you are acting like he's threatening to sue Fender. He made an annoyed Instagram post calling out a massive corporation for doing something somewhat shady.
Exactly. Like he said, they could have contacted him.

Seth L

LOL...they don't look the same. Fender can do perfect copies when they want. That's just a reliced guitar. You can't even convince the handful of people on this thread it's a copy...let alone "everybody"...
You're suffering from denial. It's obviously a copy.

Aaron Brasket

And that's it in a nutshell...not enough people know who Nels Cline is to create a market for a signature guitar based on him.

Copying a Fender doesn't seem to have hurt or curtailed any other guitar company...why would it hurt Fender?:cool:
Some of the people criticizing Nels should do a google search on "Watt Jazzmaster". Its a famous guitar - there is a lot of easy to find press on it. Its named after Mike Watt of The Minutemen the previous owner of the guitar. I am sure that is part of the reason Nels is annoyed - the guitar has a long history on its own that Fender does not own or acknowledge.

RayRay

You're suffering from denial. It's obviously a copy.
Maybe a customer ordered it that way. Does that mean with every order, Fender has to look at all unsigned artists and see if it's even remotely similar to a guitar they use? Then what? Do they ask permission? Christ it's not intellectual property. It's a guitar.

Seth L

Maybe a customer ordered it that way. Does that mean with every order, Fender has to look at all unsigned artists and see if it's even remotely similar to a guitar they use? Then what? Do they ask permission? Christ it's not intellectual property. It's a guitar.
All Cline asked for was a heads up. That doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

2HBStrat

Some of the people criticizing Nels should do a google search on "Watt Jazzmaster". Its a famous guitar - there is a lot of easy to find press on it. Its named after Mike Watt of The Minutemen the previous owner of the guitar. I am sure that is part of the reason Nels is annoyed - the guitar has a long history on its own that Fender does not own or acknowledge.
For the record I'm not trying to be critical. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure how many people, whether musicians or not, actually know who Nels Cline is, or what the market for a Nels Cline looking Jazzmaster, "authorized" or not, would be. He's a great, great player but I only learned about him from Wilco, and fwiw I'm not familiar with Watt or The Minutemen, either, nor the history of that guitar....others here may be...

Welcome to TGP btw...

RayRay

All Cline asked for was a heads up. That doesn't seem like a lot to ask.
Maybe it wasn't top of mind for Fender, hence the reason he doesn't have a sig model anyway.

I know a lot of good guitar players with unique instruments. Does that mean if I order something from any manufacturer they're obligated to contact any artist if my order is even remotely similar?

mvsr990

A Nels signature model would absolutely sell. J Mascis and Johnny Marr have the history but Wilco’s a bigger act over the last 20 years and the fanbase is largely 30-50 year old white collar workers, ie people with some disposable income.

Seth L

Maybe it wasn't top of mind for Fender, hence the reason he doesn't have a sig model anyway.

I know a lot of good guitar players with unique instruments. Does that mean if I order something from any manufacturer they're obligated to contact any artist if my order is even remotely similar?
Or maybe they don't give a hoot? Watch that NAMM video and you'll get the idea.

No idea who he is, but what a childish prick for just going to social media and complaining and being victimized. Wahhhh, they could have called me.... dude you also could have called them before you started whining publicly. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any mention of that.

Dude is acting quite entitled and like he's god's gift to the guitar world.
my impression of Nels is that he's a really sweet and kind guy, from the little bit i've worked w/ him (i was one of the music directors at a jazz club he's played at a bunch).
he is neither childish, nor a prick.

Last edited:

74vibrolux

For the record I'm not trying to be critical. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure how many people, whether musicians or not, actually know who Nels Cline is, or what the market for a Nels Cline looking Jazzmaster, "authorized" or not, would be. He's a great, great player but I only learned about him from Wilco, and fwiw I'm not familiar with Watt or The Minutemen, either, nor the history of that guitar....others here may be...

Welcome to TGP btw...
A little taste of his work with Watt.

And shame on you for not knowing The Minutemen!!! ;)
For real. Dig into that ****. It'll blow your mind.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah they got blackie, Lenny, #1 and Rory’s strat dead nuts but they missed on this?

Homage? Certainly.
Big deal? No.
Respect for Wilco...though it’s not my bag, and I tried

But this is a little silly.

Seth L

A Nels signature model would absolutely sell. J Mascis and Johnny Marr has the history but Wilco’s a bigger act over the last 20 years and the fanbase is largely 30-50 year old white collar workers, ie people with some disposable income.
If J Mascis has one, Nels definitely should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics