Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.

big mike

Gold Supporting Member
:facepalm

I’d say Elvis Costello deserves one more and I don’t particularly like his music either.

Seth L

my impression of Nels is that he's a really sweet and kind guy, from the little bit i've worked w/ him (i was one of the music directors at a jazz club he's played at a bunch).
he is neither childish, or a prick.
Calling someone you know nothing about a childish prick is very professional.

mvsr990

My guess is that there are plenty of people upset by this that have no problem with the various guitars that NC owns that are blatant Fender clones.
Aside from Watt and his Jag, I’m mostly familiar with his Bilt guitars, which are not clones.

RayRay

Calling someone you know nothing about a childish prick is very professional.
Nice try, but I'm not trying to be professional here. I'm stating my opinions based on his social media post. That kind of post is passive-aggressive, attention-seeking, and yes. The actions of a childish prick.

RayRay

my impression of Nels is that he's a really sweet and kind guy, from the little bit i've worked w/ him (i was one of the music directors at a jazz club he's played at a bunch).
he is neither childish, nor a prick.
That's cool. And I'm sure he's super talented as well.

But since I have zero exposure to that side, I'm not commenting on it.

I'm only commenting on his social media post, which is the point of this entire thread.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Silver Supporting Member
ethical discussion aside;

lol that tGP of all places would have "Nels who?" posters among it's ranks

dude is arguably atop the guitar god/gear nerd pantheon
My understanding is TGP has well over 10,000 members of all ages. It stands to reason there will be those who are not familiar with quite a few great players

Since everyone here has immediate access to google, if someone types “Nels who?” or whoever, I think it’s safe to assume it’s really meant as a pointed comment, with at least a touch of intended sarcasm, and not as a request for information.

To me the implication is that person is not important enough in the context of the subject to be making the kinds of statements that he has been quoted as making.

Seth L

Nice try, but I'm not trying to be professional here. I'm stating my opinions based on his social media post. That kind of post is passive-aggressive, attention-seeking, and yes. The actions of a childish prick.
You know nothing about him or his relationship with Fender, and yet you've called him a childish prick. That pretty much negates anything else you have to say.

If J Mascis has one, Nels definitely should.
I would not be surprised if that is being sorted out as this thread goes on. Fender are not bad guys, but they may have boned it here. Nels is legendary within his genres just as so many are. I would include Johnny Marr and J. Mascis as guys who are also legendary in their circles, but not so much household name guys. For example, a metal guy could easily stump me on guitar player names in metal bands. Means nothing. Just not my area.

Anyways, did Fender copy Nels guitar? I would call it "inspired by", but the short answer is yes. Should Nels be annoyed? That's his prerogative. I can't say I wouldn't react the same way in the same position.

I remember a couple years ago Bon Jovi released a single called "This House Is Not For Sale" and named the album after it, made custom artwork with a house showing it's roots under ground. Well, in my circles everyone knows "This House Is Not For Sale" is a staple Ryan Adams song. And Ryan Adams called it out on IG. I felt he had every right to do so. I'm certain there were some Bon Jovi fans that reacted "Who the F is Ryan Adams?" Does it matter that they don't know? Nope. Does it make him any less relevant? Nope. Is it possible Jon Bon Jovi knows who he is? Very likely. And that's what matters. Fender knows damn well who Nels Cline is.

* velcro-fly *

Supporting Member
Blah blah blah whiner cry baby....Nels Cline is the most over rated guitar player in at least a decade or two. If not for instagram and social media he would've floated off into the sunset years ago without as much as a whimper. Get over yourself kook.

RayRay

You know nothing about him or his relationship with Fender, and yet you've called him a childish prick. That pretty much negates anything else you have to say.
Then stop reading and responding to my posts if everything I have to say is negated by my opinion. Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, it's my opinion that it's a childish prick move to take something like that to social media.

You know nothing about this guitar or how it came to be, yet you vehemently vilify Fender. That pretty much negates anything else you have to say.

And with that I'm done responding to you and this thread.

Seth L

Then stop reading and responding to my posts if everything I have to say is negated by my opinion. Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, it's my opinion that it's a childish prick move to take something like that to social media.

You know nothing about this guitar or how it came to be, yet you vehemently vilify Fender. That pretty much negates anything else you have to say.

And with that I'm done responding to you and this thread.
I know everything about that guitar and how it came to be. That's why I take issue with Fender.

Status
Not open for further replies.