Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mvsr990, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

This should have been the end of the thread. No further comments necessary!

dwoverdrive likes this.
  2. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

look, according to this thread, Nels is both:
    a) famous, and therefore whoever sees his point is worshiping said fame, clouding their vision to the issue at hand, *and*
    2) a nobody, a talentless hack in a band no one’s ever heard of, who has seized upon this as his one big chance to reach some higher public visibility via instagram.

either/or.

3. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

You mean it wasn’t early onset Lewy body dimentia?

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

To my absolute horrifying discovery Epiphone has gone behind my back and made an almost exact copy of my signature guitar, only missing the green pickguard, Sherman Filterbank II stinker, chikenhead knobs and various grease marks, the rest is identical down to the very detail, somehow they even manage to put this in production before I even started playing it!

That means that not only have they gone behind my back but also done so retrospectively.

Endangering the stability of the very fabric of time by bypassing the space/time continuum just to get at me!

And doing so well knowingly it could mean the collapse of the entire known universe and possibly starting a chain reaction taking countless of other unknown universes of the multiverse with it as well, ending all life as we know it.

Dare I say an intergalactic crime of previously unseen proportions against life and even creation it self!

Just right out despicable and sickening!

Let me present the evidence:

Epiphone SG Special:
    [​IMG]

My signature Epiphone SG Special:
    [​IMG]

I would say the similarity is pretty incriminating!

I'll wait filing the lawsuit till they think them self safe enough to introduce the green pickguard version as well though, then I'll strike with the force of all the Earth's tectonics plates clashing into each other at once at full force and obliterate this vile nest of scum of an unscrupulous company into neutron star dust once and for all!

A well deserved and fitting judgement for those scoundrels.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Porfirio and The bear like this.
  5. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

FYI, that's one of the pictures I posted a while back in the offset forums and I was contacted by Nels Cline's attorney about copyright infringement, so don't be surprised if you get contacted like I did.

Given that Nels' attorneys don't even like people posting pictures of his guitar, I can't imagine they'll like the idea that Fender is doing a "heavily inspired by Nels' Jazzmaster" Jazzmaster. But as it's been said, they did that years ago with Bonamassa, and also with Philip Sayce's "Mother" strat. But if they haven't trademarked the wear patterns (similar to what EVH did with the stripes on his guitars), I'm not sure Nels could really do anything about it?

Gevalt likes this.
  6. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

No. Having an abrasive forearm might, though.... :D

7. jruano

jruano Member

I am a big fan of Wilco, and Nels Cline. I tend to think he wasn't being that serious on the IG post, but he did come across whiny for no reason, Fender can do whatever.

8. poison7512

poison7512 Member

Fender can't make literally their own guitar again? Does this chucklehead think he has a patent on WEAR PATTERN?

gretschplayer likes this.
  9. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I get that he isn't Keef/Jimi/Jimmy/Duane/Eric...but in the last 15 years, who has "sold" more Jazzmasters for Fender than Nels Cline?

To put it another way are J Mascis, Sonic Youth, Elvis Costello...are they playing to the audiences that Wilco has over this time?

I'm thinking they aren't, but I might be missing something.

Chris Stapleton is a Jazzmaster user, and at this time, probably a more well-known name than Nels Cline, but not really known as a guitar slinger.

I agree that his IG post was a little whiny, but he's always seemed like a real down to earth guy in the interviews I've seen with him.

10. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

This is the post of the year haha

Benz2112 likes this.
  11. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

Oh the irony of this video post....there is the wonderful Julian Lage playing copy of a Fender Telecaster. Doesn't even say Danocaster on the headstock. Maybe Julian did a self build partscaster with MJT parts.

12. TomBombadil

TomBombadil Member

I like Nels and Wilco a lot, but they aren't wrong for doing this.

However, if you're going to go so far as to model the specific wear after his guitar, why not just make a signature jazzmaster for him? I'd love to have one.

Dinosaur Sr. likes this.
  13. Dinosaur Sr.

Dinosaur Sr. Member

Oh the irony is right. You dont like that Nels because he posted something mildly critical about Fender. But you dont hold back posting criticism of him. What is it about Nels post that bothers you? I suspect you bought a Fender Custom Shop guitar am I right?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  14. germanicus

germanicus Member

Sigh, what a whole bunch of nothing. He wants IP protection for the wear pattern in his guitar?

I saw him perform a few years ago with Julian Lage (amazing!). Some wonderful playing, but unfortunately ultimately rather... meandering? music. My friend and I left early.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

"The irony" indeed...Lage playing a copy of a Dano copy of a Fender with a Fender headstock and no logo...someone needs to sue somebody here, but who?

16. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

Because customers are going to have to send them back to Fender for additional relicing after he produces more wear and tear on his Fender guitar? ;)

17. Seth L

Seth L Member

All he asked for was a heads up, but thanks for playing.

18. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

Whoa doggies and holster that gun feller......What on earth got your undies in a bundle from my comment? I am pointing out a simple irony...that seems obvious. I like Wilco and all the members. Irony. Not critical of what he post...I could honestly give a rats hind end. I have many guitars including custom shops yes and others. I think you are way too caught up in some supposed drama. Good Lord.

19. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Since you brought up logic, yours completely fails here.

20. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

If Toyota every releases a camry with a designed scratch on the door where mine happens to be from normal use, i WILL have my pound of flesh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.