Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedal Dan

The Island of Misfit Pedals
Actually, he got his first fuzzface in 1967 after we discovered Hendrix at age 11. I got a Vox wah wah with my paper route money and we'd let each other borrow them. We were in a band with his twin brother Alex who plays drums and then later in a band with another drummer. You could say he was the first person in West LA to use a fuzz pedal...

Anyway, I don't think he's pissed off at all, just a little surprised that they would basically copy it and then sell it for more than a real one. $8000 for a R9 is ridiculous enough, but a vintage one is >$200,000 so it's understandable. $8000 for a guitar when you can buy a vintage one for <$5000 is just plain stupid...
I can’t believe someone would pay $5k for an old one.

They were half that just a few years ago.

They aren’t Strats.

jsboswell

Supporting Member
We don't know that he was not making a joke. But go ahead and be angry anyway.
You're right. We don't KNOW that he wasn't making a joke. In fact, many of us have conceded that there is much here that we don't KNOW. Yet, you seem to KNOW everything you post, including @kwicked being "angry". That post didn't come across as angry at all. How'd you get "angry" from that one?

Seth L

You're right. We don't KNOW that he wasn't making a joke. In fact, many of us have conceded that there is much here that we don't KNOW. Yet, you seem to KNOW everything you post, including @kwicked being "angry". That post didn't come across as angry at all. How'd you get "angry" from that one?
Well, he was blowing that instagram post so far out whack, I thought there was a good reason for it. Maybe not, though.

That “certain audience” (for Wilco) translates to selling out a good sized auditorium anywhere in the world. (Wilco was great even before Nels Cline joined, but he definitely kicked things up a notch!)
Exactly.

Not sure how I feel about the new Fender. Can’t see where Cline could make any sort of IP case - but there’s no doubt he’s raised the profile of Jazzmasters over the last 20 years and it certainly looks like the one he plays.
I think it's a bit of a stretch - yes, kind of a similar wear, in a spot where the wear would happen for most people. On a non-customized production instrument.
I also always thought he started playing Jazzmasters because of Sonic Youth and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.