Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mvsr990, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loftyrocket

loftyrocket Member

I saw it and immediately thought WATT!!! No mention of Nels or Watt in the description and I was immediately taken a back. This isn’t the first time Fender has copied famous wear patterns. The go through coffee table books and google searches all the time for inspiration. But there are two things that are just so obvious...

1) it’s not black. It’s a purplish eggplant color.

2) have you ever seen a Jazzmaster (before Nels) with most of the wear BEHIND THE BRIDGE? No wear above the pickups where guitars are most commonly strummed.

The imitation is blatant. It’s not illegal, but fender pulled a dick move.

What if Martin made an N20 with all kinds of holes and inscribed signatures, but made no reference to Trigger or Willie? I think more people would be on the artists side, but Willie and trigger are much more mainstream.

2. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

So I'm 'ignorant' because, among thousands of other guitar players, Cline escaped my notice? Classy.

3. Seth L

Seth L Member

That goes without saying.

bundtcakehorn likes this.
  4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

to the offset crowd he's one of the folks that justify the ownership of offsets :D

Crowder, Zappatalist and lowyaw like this.
  5. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Silver Supporting Member

I don’t think anyone is saying they can’t. Just that it’s poor form. Because while it’s not an exact copy, it’s obviously heavily inspired by to the point where it’s not just a coincidence.

Seth L and dirk_benedict like this.
  6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

Again...to the best of my knowledge this is a one off custom shop guitar not a line of instruments that look exactly like Nels guitar. If I used MJT parts to make a similar Jazzmaster would I be morally wrong for doing so? Should I give NC some money to make me feel better? If Fender was introducing a roadworn series with that pattern it would be a jerk move but to make one custom shop NAMM guitar that looks similar?

83lltunneL likes this.
  7. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge or information. Your post implied ignorance. Any other connotations you choose to infer are completely on you.

yallerhon likes this.
  8. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

“Ignorant” doesn’t inherently have a negative connotation.

I don’t think he really has much of a leg to stand on. He doesn’t get some kind of credit for every beat up JM. His is famously beat up and has huge gouges on the top so excessive forearm and pick wear don’t really say signature relic to me. Especially as nuts as FCS has been in the past with recreating specific instruments.

9. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

My guess is that there are plenty of people upset by this that have no problem with the various guitars that NC owns that are blatant Fender clones.

atquinn, Average Joe, noley and 10 others like this.
  10. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

I respect Nels a great deal and I get that he’s disappointed, but IMHO it’s a little odd that Fender should ask for permission to essentially copy themselves. I could see if Fender went as far as to copy personal touches such as stickers or a custom aftermarket paint job. Had they made something that looked like Waylon Jenning’s Tele without Waylon, then yeah.....that would be unethical to me. A fairly basic worn Jazzmaster? I’d be flattered, personally. YMMV.

RomanS, 83lltunneL and jsboswell like this.
  11. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Fender is in the business of designing, producing and selling guitars for a profit.

It's clear that the attempt to maximize the profit on this one guitar was based on making it look like Nels' Cline very well-known guitar*, and Nels was neither contacted nor compensated for it. PRetty striaghtforward case of dbaggery...tho, to FMIC's credit, they haven't exactly advertised this guitar either.

*Well know except to a few here who haven't moved on from Foghat.

12. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

Don’t feel bad, I had no idea who he is either.

pressure likes this.
  13. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

ethical discussion aside;

lol that tGP of all places would have "Nels who?" posters among it's ranks

dude is arguably atop the guitar god/gear nerd pantheon

Porfirio, ropiyas, yallerhon and 7 others like this.
  14. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

Nice attempt at marginalization. I didn’t know who he was either , but I do know I’m not a fan of Foghat.

pressure likes this.
  15. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

just remember
    What was yours
    Is everyone’s from now on”

16. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

It's an interesting case, fer sure...

Did he own that guitar from day 1? Did he buy it with someone elses wear on it?

17. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

...and that's not what TGP is about unless it’s the old or “classic” guitar god/gear nerd pantheon”.

gerg6, Thedude99 and 74vibrolux like this.
  18. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Lol a lesser known bands even lesser known guitarist is mad at Fender and posts it on his instatwitterbook, don't think he's going ro turn many away from Fender that don't already not like Fender. Hell he probably just sold it for whatever shop ends up with it....WAIT A MINUTE... is this a reverse marketing strategy?

Everyone needs their 15 minutes of flame

Crowder likes this.
  19. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Silver Supporting Member

If you used MJT parts to make a Jazzmaster like his I'd think you were super cheesy, but not morally wrong. Not saying Fender is "morally wrong" either. It's of questionable ethics however. If gibson put out a one off Les Paul that was all roughed up and black, had a bigsby a chrome p90 and a firebird pickup in it, people would be saying the same thing. Or if fender put out a beat up blonde tele with that distinct 5 saddle bridge and big humbucker in the neck - wouldn't you assume Keith Richards would be a little miffed? It is a distinct object that is linked to a known artist. They're obviously piggybacking on his likeness (for lack of a better term) for profit.

Fender can make all the Jazzmasters they want. They can partner or not partner with anyone they want. They don't owe Nels Cline anything. But they obviously took influence from something that is so linked to him that it's uncanny and used it to make money. It's just lame whether it's a series of roadworn copies or a one off. Of course, I think any tribute guitar that looks exactly like the artist's guitar is pretty much corny.

loftyrocket likes this.
  20. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Agreed...

thatguyoverthere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.