Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mvsr990, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Mr. Cline should have registered his "trademark" guitar … oh wait, it's Fender's intellectual property in the first place.

2. KoolThing

KoolThing Supporting Member

This is the best take I've seen in this thread. And furthermore, Nels didn't use the word "sue" or invoked the legality of the whole thing. He expressed minor annoyance at both their trading on his reputation and the pricing of "relic'd" CS models. AFAIK the only stuff he has actually endorsed have been pedals, guitars , and hardware he happens to use or things he has actually had a hand in designing (the Goo distortion, for example). No shilling, though I won't hate on people who do--musicians have to eat, too.

gerg6, Dinosaur Sr., Crowder and 4 others like this.
  3. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Silver Supporting Member

He bought it from Mike Watt years ago. It's a pretty well documented guitar. You can see pictures of it in its earlier days on Watt's page. http://www.hootpage.com/hoot_gallery-nels.html - It was in really good shape when Nels started playing it. He really put it through the ringer. Dude is a monster when he plays.

4. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

It’s beautiful to behold, isn’t it?

5. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

Wasn’t he also the first guy to use a fuzz pedal? :)

cheetah77 and RicardoDiazHimself like this.
  6. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Silver Supporting Member

No ****. The first time I saw him play I nearly lost my mind. I don't think anyone since Sonic Youth had opened my ideas to what's possible. Just like SY, he changed how I saw the guitar. It was like watching someone successfully cut down a tree with a hammer and make it look effortless. The Nels Cline 4 album he just put out is the one I've been hoping he'd do for years. I just wish they'd hit Kansas City.

7. bucketsofcake

bucketsofcake Member

The wonderful thing about the internet is that when you don't know who or what something is, you can simply type the name of that who or what into a search engine to become quickly informed. It's a great place to learn and discover things you might not have previously known about the world.

Note that beautiful rosewood Henss Jazzmaster at 2:50 that is a Fender knockoff down to the font employed on the headstock. Nels always seems like a cool, down-to-earth guy, but this is just silly.

8. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Andertons ordsrs custom shop "inspired" Fender guitars all the time, inspiration pays no royalties.

RicardoDiazHimself likes this.
  9. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

No, but he was the first guy to use 35 fuzz pedals all at once! (And still sound great.)

Thedude99 likes this.
  10. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I got to talk to him for a minute after he played a duo gig with Julian Lage in Austin. I think I caught him off guard when he asked if I enjoyed the show.

I said “I don’t know. I was pretty lost all night!” Which was the absolute truth!

I find it interesting how differently he plays in that format, or with The Nels Cline Singers, than he does with Wilco. And I love the way he interacts with Tweedy and Sansone; they get some very interesting things happening.

Zappatalist likes this.
  11. GA20T

GA20T Member

It's unoriginal, I'll give them that.

I'll always be reminded of the butterflies seeing this live for the first time whenever I see Watt (edit: not Watt in the vid):

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  12. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

13. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Member

Exactly! And it's a Nash telecaster that he is holding in that screenshot as well. He has a bunch of replica Fenders yet he is complaining about Fender having a custom shop with similar wear.

14. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

They made it. This is hilarious.

cheetah77, roswell and jsboswell like this.
  15. loftyrocket

loftyrocket Member

God. Via Chicago. Perhaps my favorite Wilco

Crowder, Kurt L and GA20T like this.
  16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Maybe its been answered well by others - no time to read the entire thread. But he is a little under the radar because he's a bit "avant-garde", builds parts from lots of loops and other creative devises. But something to note is that he is a brilliant, legit jazz player. He's a significant player even if he's not as well known beyond jazz and Wilco fans.

Johnny Ninefingers and lowyaw like this.
  17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Hey look its Wilco on network television.

Oh look its Wilco on NPR.

Network television again.

Farm Aid

Austin City Limits

18. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

Well it does look a lot like his black Jazzmaster but Fender isn't trying to sell it using any references to Nels Cline. I don't see anything about the guitar (other than the wear pattern and color) that makes it unique to Nels guitar. Black's a pretty common color and the spot where the finish wear is, is usually where the finish wears down.

I don't see a problem here.

gerg6, strumminsix, Thedude99 and 2 others like this.
  19. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I like Nels Cline and appreciate his gear nerdery, but he’s really not even close. Might be second place in two bands that he’s in.

20. morgan918

morgan918 Member

This. People need to go listen to his jazz records as well. Killer player. So much ignorant **** here sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.