Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mvsr990, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

that's one opinion, and I really don't even agree with a word of it

Flying_Milkman likes this.
  2. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Yeah, the opening line of that song gets me every time. Love Tweedy’s songwriting...

loftyrocket and Rockinrob86 like this.
  3. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Besides the gold sparkle/Bonamassa strat inspired strat, like mentioned previously, I believe Fender made a run of Philip Sayce/Mother inspired strats.

Nothing done wrong by Fender. To me, it's all a matter of personal opinion.

jsboswell likes this.
  4. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

Nels Cline is great, but I have to side with Fender here. It's a black Jazzmaster with a heavy relic. I don't agree that the wear patterns match except that both have heavy forearm wear. It also seems to be a one-off. I think it is entirely reasonable that the Fender CS builder simply built a black Jazzmaster with a heavy relic.

I mean, Alex Edkins from the band Metz also plays a black Jazzmaster that is becoming worn. Should he also be irked?

cheetah77, Matt L, 83lltunneL and 2 others like this.
  5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I think it's a stretch. The wear pattern isn't really that close, considering that it is a very common wear pattern, about the most common on worn with use Fenders, and relics too.

Matt L and tiktok like this.
  6. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Moreover, it makes me wonder how many people who want Fender drawn and quartered for copying their own marks, bought and own any clones of any kind? You know...

Vox clones?
    Marshall clones?
    D-clones?
    Coodercasters?

Just weird to me how you can order similar parts from MJT, post the results of said “tribute” here and -apart from the anti-relic contingent- get praised for it. Based on that logic, Fender never should have made any black Relic ‘57 Strats. Blackie, y’know?

If you play an instrument -especially from a mainstream instrument manufacturer- that’s the risk you take. It makes no difference that you strum the upper cutaway instead of the strings because your aim is bad, or how acidicly sweaty your forearms are.

I’ll concede that Fender missed a golden opportunity to collaborate with Nels on a Jazzmaster. That would have been seriously cool!

Arewenotmen? and 83lltunneL like this.
  7. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

Its odd they don't do a Nels Sig Jazzmaster. He's known for it and deserving of it. If he wants to post about Fender, who cares? He's earned it. Impossible Germany is my favorite solo ever.

dirk_benedict and Flying_Milkman like this.
  8. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

Also...Fender can do what they want. They built his original. Don't care.

9. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

In the context of Fender's AR policy it would have been appropriate and corteous of them to let Nels know about this Custom Shop piece. One day this may lead to a signature model, who knows, so a little investment in goodwill usually pays off.

At the same time, Nels could have voiced this disappointment directly with Fender, rather than on Instagram. Adults complaining on social media about private matters appear rather immature to me.

10. Drewski

Drewski Silver Supporting Member

This just in, Springstein is upset about all the Butterscotch teles sold in the last 65 years

scr@tchy, Average Joe, jblake and 8 others like this.
  11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Looks like yet another relic to me. He's got an overrated opinion of himself.

12. JDutch

JDutch Member

Unless Fender is using his likeness, or referring or alluding to his music, I'm not sure why people don't assume this is a coincidence. Fender has been making Stratocasters, Telecasters, Jaguars and Jazzmasters for over fifty years, and those models are used by artists across all genres globally. Is Fender supposed to check with every somewhat famous guitarist to make sure that none of its current-production guitars is too close in color or relic'ing to any of their instruments before selling each guitar?

13. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

At a show a few years ago, I got to see Nels Cline play that song on Duane Allman’s old goldtop. Before they brought it out, Tweedy said something like “We wouldn’t ordinarily stop to introduce a guitar, but...”

It was a very cool moment.

14. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Fender pissing pro players off is starting to be a thing! They've done the same to John Mayer, Phillip Sayce and a handful of others! In some cases they literally asked the artist to bring their guitar to the custom shop under the guise of doing a signature model!!! Then did one with no deal in place! It's just bad business to do this and I'm sure this kind of **** is what led to John Mayer being involved with the PRS Silver Sky (which is BTW better than any modern strat I've ever played-just sayin')!

uab9253 and Seth L like this.
  15. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Who knows, maybe FCS is gauging the reception to a clone of "The Watt"? Moore, Ranaldo, Mascis, Costello, TVL, etc have all had sig Jazzmasters. Even if TGP doesn't know him, he's one of the more well-known modern Jazzmaster players among musicians. Trust me, I have been playing offsets since the 90s.

It's probably a one-off. And at that price, it was likely Masterbuilt. Actually copying a guitar for a FCS signature guitar typically involves bringing the guitar in and measuring and documenting it before running the copy machine.

What's the point in Nels's post? Does he want to shame Fender, look greedy, seek attention? He plays a caboodle of funky guitars from many manufacturers. For all we know, they already chatted endorsement and he wasn't open to Fender's terms.

It wasn't cool of Fender, but whining about it isn't cool either. It just seems like he expects a cut for this non-sig guitar or a sig model because FCS (probably but unprovable) made a copy of Watt. There's nothing illegal about copying wear and tear.

If it is in fact a one-off, it seems a bit whiny of Nels. For what? I mean, he seems like a cool guy in interviews but this Instashame is kind of sad. Maybe he posted before coffee.

Imitation is flattery.

As far as the price, it is no different from vintage. FCS and people buying and selling vintage Jazzmasters typically charge what the market will bear. I do have a few FCS guitars and a bass (none are Masterbuilt.) They do tend to be better a good deal better than the standard production stuff IMO. At this point I already have over one dozen guitars; I'd rather add one great guitar than two decent/good guitars.

But yeah… why all the fuss?

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  16. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

Did anyone else get a mental image of Gene Wilder saying, "That's Spring-stine!"? Only me?

tweedlux and strumminsix like this.
  17. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

...but, back to the task at hand...

Dang, Nels would probably sell you his guitar for less than eight-large. I jest, I jest!

18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I'd say Mr Cline is a bit full of himself. You can't patent a guitars aesthetics
    in terms of wear. And do they even mention his name anywhere in relation
    to this guitar? If not then he is just being cranky - but if so ( and I seriously
    doubt they would mention his name without consultation) then Fender will
    owe Cline a bit of money.

strumminsix likes this.
  19. DavidTCIC

DavidTCIC Member

I love Nels Cline playing and i think he is a really cool guy, but that one is just a reliced black jazzmaster with a non mastery bridge. One can argue that that is kind of his thing, but the same can be said about Fender building JMs. Plus Fender has the rights to do, so...

strumminsix likes this.
  20. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

Jeesh, this place...

Maybe he was having an unrelated ****** morning already. Maybe he let go a little human emotion and didn’t account for the infallible tan pantsed automatons' inscrutable monitorings. Maybe Fender already reached out and said "hey sorry bud, our bad, no bad intentions" and he said "no dudes, my bad, i was just having a moment, i totally dig it." and they've all already moved on to muuuuuch much much more important matters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.