Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewieCox

Supporting Member
Even as just a nod to one of the two players who’s done the most to give the JM a higher profile.
Who’s the other?

It’d be hard to nail down one or even a few guitar players that raised the notoriety of the JM well beyond the rest. The availability of cheaper vintage pieces drove demand more than any player imo.

mvsr990

Who’s the other?

It’d be hard to nail down one or even a few guitar players that raised the notoriety of the JM well beyond the rest. The availability of cheaper vintage pieces drove demand more than any player imo.
I'd say Kevin Shields and Cline are the biggest names heavily associated with the JM who haven't had a signature guitar yet, aside from Tom Verlaine (who should be more known for Danelectros or Fender with lipstick pickups, anyway).

I'd say Cline is the biggest name heavily associated with the JM who hasn't had a signature guitar yet, aside from Tom Verlaine (who should be more known for Danelectros or Fender with lipstick pickups, anyway).
You're forgetting Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine. Now, I'm not sure who the larger draw would be: Cline or MBV. That being said, Loveless has inspired me more personally than anything Wilco has ever put out and I would certainly associate Cline more with having his effects pedals on a table rather than the floor, over the fact that he uses an offset guitar. But, that's just me. Sonically, I don't think Cline is anywhere near the same camp as Shields.

lestera34

Supporting Member
They did the same thing with Sayce's strat and the Bonamassa baby **** green guitar too.

Didn't market it the same but were 1:1 knockoffs, both times.

Make excuses if you want, but Fender is being ****** and they know it. People that want a legit Fender in the vein of one of their favorite guitarists will be happy and money will be spent. The reference of someone else's guitar doesn't need to be specifically mentioned for it to obviously be a ****** move.

mvsr990

You're forgetting Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine. Now, I'm not sure who the larger draw would be: Cline or MBV. That being said, Loveless has inspired me more personally than anything Wilco has ever put out and I would certainly associate Cline more with having his effects pedals on a table rather than the floor, over the fact that he uses an offset guitar. But, that's just me. Sonically, I don't think Cline is anywhere near the same camp as Shields.
You caught me while I was editing it. I couldn't decide how much of a name Shields is with Americans these days but MBV had no trouble selling out a pretty big place when I saw them in 2008.

FiestaRed

Supporting Member
ethical discussion aside;

lol that tGP of all places would have "Nels who?" posters among it's ranks

dude is arguably atop the guitar god/gear nerd pantheon
My understanding is TGP has well over 10,000 members of all ages. It stands to reason there will be those who are not familiar with quite a few great players

IYWBBYGBG

They've copied his guitar without consulting him or getting his consent. That's a pretty crappy thing to do.
The bottom line is nobody would have seen that guitar on the rack and thought of him.

It's Fender's guitar - they own the design and everything about it. Cline owns his particular example - that's where his claim to anything ends - his personal possession. Fender has built thousands of distressed jazzmasters, and the custom shop has specialized in distressed guitars for over 20 years now - eventually they're going to distress a black Jazzmaster - duh. The wear pattern isn't even that similar. If they wanted to replicate the finish precisely, they could. Nels is not as famous as he obviously thinks he is - and while Wilco has a niche following, Nels isn't even a founding member. I never even heard of him until I started hanging around "gear" forums. It's not like he has a personalized feature like the SRV pickguard, or even the Yngwie *play loud* sticker. He has a black Jazzmaster with worn finish.

Dude needs to understand he's just not that important. He's a sideman in a semi-known non-mainstream roots act. I never thought twice about him before.

IYWBBYGBG

That “certain audience” (for Wilco) translates to selling out a good sized auditorium anywhere in the world. (Wilco was great even before Nels Cline joined, but he definitely kicked things up a notch!)

Not sure how I feel about the new Fender. Can’t see where Cline could make any sort of IP case - but there’s no doubt he’s raised the profile of Jazzmasters over the last 20 years and it certainly looks like the one he plays.
Auditorium?

eigentone

Silver Supporting Member
I'd say Kevin Shields and Cline are the biggest names heavily associated with the JM who haven't had a signature guitar yet, aside from Tom Verlaine (who should be more known for Danelectros or Fender with lipstick pickups, anyway).
Robert Smith has not had a sig Jazzmaster. The Jazzmaster was his main guitar in The Cure in the early years. He does have a sig Schecter at this point.

A list of some JM players, courtesy of Fender:

Too many to mention, but here are some highlights:

• Elvis Costello
  • Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth)
  • J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)
  • Nils Lofgren (E Street Band)
  • Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher (My Bloody Valentine)
  • Blixa Bargeld (Einstürzende Neubauten)
  • Jonny Buckland (Coldplay)
  • Win Butler (Arcade Fire)
  • Nels Cline and Jeff Tweedy (Wilco)
  • Wayne Coyne and Steven Drozd (Flaming Lips)
  • Adam Franklin (Swervedriver)
  • Tim Gane (Stereolab)
  • Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins)
  • Joshua Hayward (The Horrors)
  • Francis Healy (Travis)
  • David Immerglück (Camper Van Beethoven, Counting Crows)
  • Ira Kaplan (Yo La Tengo)
  • Hamilton Leithauser (The Walkmen)
  • Stephen Malkmus (Pavement)
  • Aaron North (Nine Inch Nails)
  • Ric Ocasek (The Cars)
  • Alex Rosamilia (The Gaslight Anthem)
  • Robert Smith (The Cure)
  • Adrian Utley (Portishead)
  • Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

83lltunneL

I was thinking J Marcus. Kurt Cobain is more closely associated with Mustangs and Jaguars, but he played Jazzmasters too. He played cheap guitars he found in pawn shops.

EDIT: J Mascis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics