• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

Fender Custom Shop not making friends with Nels Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucnick

Supporting Member
He’s the guy in Wilco with the overly active vibrato
Yeah... Wilco... I saw the them once when they opened for REM. No aspersions against Nels, but... I joked with my friends that they should be named Snoozer. I actually fell asleep. And not from too many brewskis...:thud

83lltunneL

Supporting Member
I think it's possible we're overreacting to something Nels barely thought about.
Hi. I’m not trying to argue with you, internet stranger, but Nels Cline did post his contempt about the whole thing on his Instagram account, which is how celebrities - even minor guitar celebrities - share their most urgent minor concerns.

therhodeo

Dude needs to understand he's just not that important. He's a sideman in a semi-known non-mainstream roots act. I never thought twice about him before.
By all means please provide a list of "important" acts for us so we can stick to those for topics.

mvsr990

Robert Smith has not had a sig Jazzmaster. The Jazzmaster was his main guitar in The Cure in the early years. He does have a sig Schecter at this point.

A list of some JM players, courtesy of Fender:

Too many to mention, but here are some highlights:

• Elvis Costello
  • Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth)
  • J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)
  • Nils Lofgren (E Street Band)
  • Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher (My Bloody Valentine)
  • Blixa Bargeld (Einstürzende Neubauten)
  • Jonny Buckland (Coldplay)
  • Win Butler (Arcade Fire)
  • Nels Cline and Jeff Tweedy (Wilco)
  • Wayne Coyne and Steven Drozd (Flaming Lips)
  • Adam Franklin (Swervedriver)
  • Tim Gane (Stereolab)
  • Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins)
  • Joshua Hayward (The Horrors)
  • Francis Healy (Travis)
  • David Immerglück (Camper Van Beethoven, Counting Crows)
  • Ira Kaplan (Yo La Tengo)
  • Hamilton Leithauser (The Walkmen)
  • Stephen Malkmus (Pavement)
  • Aaron North (Nine Inch Nails)
  • Ric Ocasek (The Cars)
  • Alex Rosamilia (The Gaslight Anthem)
  • Robert Smith (The Cure)
  • Adrian Utley (Portishead)
  • Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
I'd stand by my assessment - aside from those who've had signatures and maybe Smith (I'm a fan of the early Cure but a few years into their career he was using a number of different guitars), none of them are as well-known as Cline/Shields and as heavily associated with the Jazzmaster.

For Mascis/Ranaldo/Moore/Costello/Shields/Cline, the Jazzmaster is their guitar (even if in the case of Mascis it's pretty much only live).

Kaplan, Utley, Yorke, Malkmus have used a wide variety of guitars over the years, too many to be associated with any one guitar.

Devin

Low Voltage
Supporting Member
Hi. I’m not trying to argue with you, internet stranger, but Nels Cline did post his contempt about the whole thing on his Instagram account, which is how celebrities - even minor guitar celebrities - share their most urgent minor concerns.
Urgent minor concern is an interesting idea. The best use of social media for sure. I just wonder how much he actually cares about a guitar that looks like his being sold vs how much is just idle post fodder for ig or whether we are collectively projecting outrage onto this post. He kind of muses about the cost of vintage JMs too seems more like low key clickbait.

japanmoran

Saw it at the show and asked a fender guy - he didn't know who Cline was.

This wall of guitars was behind a velvet rope and you couldn't touch or approach...there were several folks guarding the area when I was there saturday, fwiw.

bluejazzoid

Supporting Member
Coming from someone who appreciates Wilco, I think Nels probably just posted that after somebody saw it and pointed out that it looked like his. As it is tho, it looks more like Fender simply copied the finish wear from his guitar —perhaps intentionally copying real finish wear from photos of a real, road-worn Jazzmaster VS doing that belt sander crap— and tho that's something, maybe it should encourage Nels to abuse "WATT" even more now to make it different!

Now if the Fender CS guys had scratched "WATT" into the bridge plate (and written it on the back of the neck), then Nels should schedule a friendly visit the Fender Custom Shop... and bring a hammer and rasp.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.