Fender Custom Shop Rant

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by crazyneddie, Apr 30, 2019.

1. macatt

macatt Supporting Member

Well, beating up shiny new guitars didn't start there with Keith either.
    We slid our rhythm player's new Tele back and forth across the dance floor to break it in and make it 'cool' in 1966.
    We already had that concept. And I do think it was pretty silly.

I don't worry about relics one way or the other because I'm 70 years old and have this:
    (as well as some beautiful shiny Gretsch guitars and others)

I put all the wear on this one over decades of hard gigging full time for a living. I've no need to fake it.
    [​IMG]
    Another thing; when I'm on stage playing, the last thing I'm thinking about is what my guitar looks like.
    S Mac

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

Again I think there are some people who want to read so much more into the relic thing than what it really is.

Yes, by definition a relic finish is fake wear.

No, it is not meant to fool anyone into thinking that it is real.

Yes, it’s been around forever, and it started in much more respectable, fad-immune circles: virtually all professional level bowed instruments are reliced, and nobody does it, or buy them, to pretend that they own a real Strad. It has simply become a standard type of finish for those instruments.

The allure of distressed finishes is everywhere. Clothes, furniture, floors, clothing etc. Whenit comes to guitars, I do believe people buy them for two reasons only: they like the way a distressed finish looks, and not having to worry about putting the first ding allows for a free playing experience.

Then of course you have the OCD freaks like me. I do like and own reliced guitars, but I am so neat that I manage to reverse-relic them . I always wash my hands before I play, so as a result all the artfully applied gunk is gone. My non-relic gigging guitars are still dead mint, and that is in over 40 years of playing.

3. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

4. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Member

Well said. Put a gouge in a PRS Private Stock and watch thousands and thousands of $$$ fly away.

Really digging my new Moderns Select, by the way!

5. Gurn

Gurn Member

That should be a sticky.

6. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

This thread got me looking at Reverb and I found a guitar I used to own over 40+ years ago--albeit in a CS NOS incarnation.

[​IMG]

It should arrive sometime next week.

7. Nuclear Plexi

Nuclear Plexi Member

Exactly, it's not just America. It's global.

I've lived in Asia for the last 12 years. My first time living here was in '99. I'm fluent in Mandarin, been fluent for years.

Fast food in Asia is huge. Westerners don't always recognize it as it takes the form of night market food much of the time, but that food is just as bad as any fast food in America. It has to do with people working all day and not having time to cook. Another factor is that many studio apartments here don't have kitchens. Young people go to the night markets to eat. (Often times areas where young people live have a night market nearby for this reason.) Of course, people are also addicted to salt, sugar, and fried food. Those are the main flavors of night market food.

Asian people experience the health effects of obesity with less body fat compared to Western people; so even though Asian people often look thin, they generally have high percentages of body fat and everything that goes along with it. The country I live in (Taiwan) has a lower life expectancy than the States for men, and this is without the drug epidemic.

8. Ben W

Ben W Member

I've had many Strats, and own two keepers now. One is a Masterbuilt 50s style relic'd guitar with a rosewood neck that I've had for a long time. The other is a CS '61 Journeyman relic. Both are good guitars, but the trem block/arm design on Strats sucks. I've installed Callaham blocks/arms on both guitars. Why Fender doesn't address this materials and design issue is beyond me. Compare PRS and Suhr trem action and you'll get my drift. I also don't care for relic'd guitars, but they sell. It's a way for Fender to boost margins. But at this point, I challenge you to compare a PRS Silver Sky with a Custom Shop Strat. It's an incredible value for price, and it's a terrific instrument. Truth be told, I've switched to PRS guitars overall as my main squeeze. Intrinsicly, Fender Custom Shop (and particularly Masterbuilt) is just not worth the money.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I have spent a few days with the above mentioned CS Tele and it is a fine instrument; but not meaningfully better than the 2001 American Standard Tele it replaced.

I installed a Glendale bridge (using the top loader provisions) with Gotoh In-Tune titanium saddles and all is well with this impulse purchase. I was pleasantly surprised with the accurate intonation. The CS Twisted Tele pickups are just right for me too.