Fender Custom Shop Relic 60's Strat Pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tapeup, Aug 14, 2008.

1. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

Anyone have a Fender Custom Shop Relic 60's Strat that has the stock Fender Custom Shop Relic 60's pickups that came in it, who can comment on the tone of these pickups? I have a chance to buy some, and I realize they are not offered for sale on the aftermarket, only included with the CS Relic 60's Stratocasters, so I was posting here to see if anyone has experience with these pickups and can chime in with their impressions of them, as info is very hard to find on these, if it exists at all? Much thanks!

2. tapeup

Maybe I should post this in the guitars section?

3. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

I have an SRV strat that I put teh '69 Custom Shop pickups in, I like those the best out of all the pickups I tried in that guitar. I have had the '57 pu's, but havent tried the 60's relics.

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I had some in a CS 1960 strat sweet sounding pre-CBS pups. So much so that I sold some WCR SR's in favor of these but the JM Rolphs are my all time favorite.

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I had a closet classic 60s custom shop...I think it was a 2000, or thereabouts. I thought the pups sounded bland and lackluster. But I would imagine that what they put in these guitar varies over the years, and perhaps different inthe relics?

Greg

6. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I got a Relic 60's custom shop strat and in my opinion these are some of the most magical and mojo sounding strat pickups I have ever heard...clean or overdriven.

7. joel

joel Member

I've got a CS relic '60 made just over a year ago, from Dave's. Mine's ash w/ rosewood board. I believe it has the special '60 pickup set. I don't know what's pickups and what's wood, but the guitar sounds really nice to me. Moderately low output signal, warm rich neck position, clearer and brighter as you go towards the bridge. I usually have the tone and volume rolled off about 10%, makes it sound fatter and gives me room to add bite and power. Middle is a bit 'nasal', maybe, and bridge has a bit of that tinny 50's pop tone I guess. Neck/middle/bridge are reasonably well balanced, no huge volume jumps when I switch positions. My guitar is pretty bright overall, with lots of 'vibe', e.g. it's expressive & you can hear wood, strings, fingers, pick contributing to the sound. If you're wanting a powerful SRV strat, you might not like these pickups as they're more on the delicate side.

Hope this helps, tone and feel are hard to put into words. /jd

8. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

they are my favorite Fender pups
    and i have them all
    many feel the same way

very clean, underwound, vintage stratty tone

the quintessential strat tone to me

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

They are great pickups..You should buy and try them.:AOK

10. tapeup

Okay thanks a lot players, I appreciate all the reviews, opinions, and info, you all definitely make it easier for me to decide what to do. I appreciate it. Thanks TGP once again! ;)

11. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Aren't the 57/62s the separately-available version of what's in the 60s relic guitars?

12. tapeup

I didn't think so, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the question Ted, I was wondering this at first also, but never confirmed or refuted this possibility. Can anyone chime in here?

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The 57/62's are in the American Vintage series. The Custom Shop winds a different thing for the 60's Time Machine instruments.

Great pickups! I wouldn't put up more than $250 for a set because there's too many equally nice sounding pups available in that price range {or less}. Very, very good sounding pickups. Fender can do it when they want!

14. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

+1

I don't care what anyone says. I like them. I also like the CS relic pickups and the Texas Specials in the SRV Strat. I don't know why folks complain about Fender pickups constantly.

15. tapeup

So $125 +tax is not bad then I take it?...perhaps even a steal?

16. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I've still got them in my '60 Closet Classic that I've owned for 8 years. When I swapped out the 3-way selector for the 5-way I measured the resistance on each pickup. I don't have the exact values handy at the moment, but I recall them being fairly low-output: around 6.02k for the bridge, down to maybe 5.80k for the neck. I'm perfectly happy with the way the guitar sounds and don't intend to swap them out for anything else. I've played other Time Machine series '60 Strats and also thought they sounded great with the stock pickups.

17. greenlander

greenlander Member

I had a CS '60 Relic Time Machine for awhile and thought the pickups were great. Especially through a Fender amp. Nice vintage Strat tone.

I really wish Fender would offer the '60 and '65 Custom Shop Time Machine pickups as aftermarket replacement sets. Those are two of the best sounding pickups I've tried. Currently they just have Fat 50's, 54's, then it jumps all the way to '69. The 57/62 set are decent but not quite as good as the Custom Shop stuff IMO.

18. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

Can you please explain the difference between the Rolphs and WCR SR's. I also think the Rolphs are the best vintage strat pickups out there but I was thinking about getting SR's in another strat so your comments wound be really helpful.

To the original post I agree the custom shop pickups sound great. I love the Rory Strat pickups and 56 pickups also.

19. stratus

stratus Supporting Member

Woooo. Great price on those pups. If I didn't have another set around they would be mine! Amazing low output tone.

20. Dezzy

Dezzy Member

this is an old thread, but so what I still going to comment :roll

I bought a 2003 1960 custom shop recently, and i have to agree the pickups are pure magic, they are the closest pickup I have heard to the original ones, the do that SRV thing bang on, great mojo sounding pickups, maybe some of that is in the guitar as well, but they are great